Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials/low-shrubs that love sun and heat, amended clay

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:33

I am planning to replace the nothing-special spreading Gazania and unknown Daylilies in a sunny (all-day sun) hot strip on a slope of amended clay, flanked by our stone driveway and steps. The steps lead from the street to the door, so the plants in this strip are front and center and need to be neat and tidy.

In our backyard, we have Polygala fruticosa (Sweet Pea Shrub) which is bullet-proof with little water in the heat, but is too tall for these spots. However, I'd like something that tolerates these conditions just as well, but lower, no more than 1-2'. NOT a ground cover, but maybe a collection of Thymes and smallish plants here and there about the size of the foliage of an established healthy Daylily.

I would appreciate suggestions for these conditions. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials/low-shrubs that love sun and heat, amended clay

Goodwin Creek Lavender will fit that spot and so will Pin Cushions and they populate by themselves. Also get some Freesias. They will come up right now and flower in the spring and very fragrant for the steps and driveway.

o
RE: Perennials/low-shrubs that love sun and heat, amended clay

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 11:09

Thank you for the suggestions - I especially like the Lavender.

I should also mention that our front yard has a naturalistic design and no lawn. It was completely re-landscaped several years ago, and now that the plants are mature I can see what can stay and what needs to go because they're either overcrowded or not tolerant of their conditions. The spreading Gazania looks ratty and needs frequent trimming (has to go) and the Daylilies need more water than they get on this slope (may get moved to backyard). I should have a "you dig, you take" party to help me remove them and share with new owners. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here