Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - new yard in a wind tunnel

Posted by StephMorganHill Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 14:51

We have a 1/2 acre of rocky orchard dirt in our backyard that I need to transform into a garden, but we live in a wind tunnel and are surrounded by fields. I have about 100 ft along a fence where I would like to plant some wind hardy trees, but not evergreens because the area needs sun in winter. My current options are to put in clumping bamboo for immediate windbreak and plant ginkgo biloba in front and wait for it to mature, or a few red maples. What will grow up high relatively quickly and not cause too much litter? I would like trees with some interesting bark in winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - new yard in a wind tunnel

How about temporary reed or split bamboo fencing to chill out the wind while trees are growing in ? As long as it allows some air through it won't make the wind into a vortex behind it.

I would go for red maples, I love gingkos, they are so beautiful, but they smell so bad if one is a lady gingko.

I have a wind tunnel front yard too, on a busy street in SJ . On my street are gingkos and evergreen magnolia. I don't have either, I'm still trying to decide what to do for street trees (despite all the helpful advice I got on this forum)

Pea

o

The Sunset Garden book has a good section on windbreaks. I recall being surprised at the recommendations. You may wish to take a look at it- they have some fine drawings of how different fences and plants work as windbreaks.

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 3:48

I did a lot of research on trees because I live in a wind tunnel part of the year. I live below the Cajon Pass and the Santa Anas howl through there.

I settled on Sycamores (London plane and Cal sycamore) because they were rated very well for wind resistance. They definitely have interesting bark.

Established Crape Myrtles have done extremely well for me as well. Young ones can get blown over but I have restaked them and they suffered no harm.

o

Thanks. I have looked at the Sunset book, but didn't find it that inspiring. Sycamores are a huge problem, the fuzzy hairs they produce in spring can create horrible breathing problems. I have decided to go with an arbutus marina, red maples and laurels, and then am planting a podocarpus hedge for a second layer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here