Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Streetscape upgrade

peachymomo
12 years ago

My bf and I tackled one more project before winter, we had some old stumps and a big shrub removed and installed a gravel path and some new flower beds in our narrow garden between our fence and the street. We get a lot of foot traffic passing by our home every day so we put in the fence for privacy and security, before there was a little dirt track beaten into the ground and now we've got a nice path that allows people to pass easily but also makes it obvious that they are walking through someone's garden. We've gotten lots of complements from neighbors and passers-by and we are very happy with it too.

Before:

{{gwi:559416}}

{{gwi:559417}}

After:

{{gwi:559418}}

{{gwi:559419}}

{{gwi:559420}}

{{gwi:559421}}

And lastly the new camellia I put in our shady front bed to replace the gardenia that never bloomed:

{{gwi:559422}}

My arms are still tired from all the digging, gravel and rock moving, and spreading of compost, but it's all worth it because I'm so happy with the result. An added bonus is that the hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees found the new garden right away, I think they might be even happier about it than I am.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (10)

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Very nice job! I love fences, walls, trellises, any kind of structure. They provide such a nice backdrop for landscaping. As soon as a fence or wall goes up, I see another reason for planting something there..on the inside and on the outside, plus it does give you privacy and security. If I were you, I'd be *very* pleased with the job you did. Like the plants you've chosen to use, also.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

That's really lovely. I like the way the path meanders, and your plant choices are perfect. The rock looks natural and blends in nicely with your wood fence.

You have lucky neighbors.

Renee

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Also,quite often when you do something nice, it inspires your neighbors to do the same and soon you have a better neighborhood.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My bf and I were actually wondering if our project was what inspired one of our neighbors to start their own, I'm not sure what they're doing but they've had lots of workers along the front of their property working away. I'm excited to see what they do.

The landscape supply co. that we got the rocks from let us take samples home to see how they would look. I'm glad they did because I really like the end result and I probably would have gone with a different kind of rock if I hadn't been able to see them in context.

I love the plants too, they were recommended by a friend who is a landscape designer. It smelled so good when we were planting because of all the salvia and lavender, I also planted hundreds of bulbs and I can't wait to see them in the spring.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Peachy, can you post a shot of your gate? I'd like to see how you put the arbor together over the opening.
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Very nice indeed! Any inclinations towards a vine to green up the fence?

• jenn
    12 years ago

I love it! You did a great job.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love flowering vines, and I want to have lots of them covering the fence and tumbling over but I think most will have to be planted inside. The one rose closest to the gate is a climbing rose and I plan on training it up and over the arbor, it's been in a big pot for two years so next year hopefully it will leap up the trellis that I'm going to install.

Here are some pics of the gate, sorry about the glare:
    {{gwi:559423}} {{gwi:559424}}

The trellis got hit by a truck delivering a dumpster during our last project, it will probably be fixed pretty soon ;oP

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thanks. I can see how it's built- I love the big posts and the arched gate. You have done a great job on this project.
    Renee

• tressa
    12 years ago

Peachy...what a great job! I wish you were my neighbor. I live in a community in the hills. Everyone is so afraid of fire that they completely strip their property.....no vegetation. I wish I could get some interest in creating trails, rocked culverts and pride in the neighborhood as you have done. It looks wonderful!