Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojo56

Mediterranean landscaping while preserving Giant Birds of Paradis

MoJo56
12 years ago

I have a couple of Giant Bird of Paradise (GBP) and a Norfolk Pine (?) in my front yard. I am getting rid of the 60+ ft. pine because of concerns that it would fall on the house during high winds. I would very much like to save the GBP's but wanted to go for a more Mediterranean look. I am planting Spartan Junipers as a privacy screen enclosing the yard. Does anyone think adding Olive trees to the center of each side of the front yard and keeping the GBP's is tacky or mixing styles? My pseudo landscape designer friend is vehemently against it and thinks it will look bad...I just want to kill the least number of plants possible...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:559577}}

Comments (5)

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Actually, I think Mediterranean can be interpreted in quite a few different ways, including using your GBP's. I would not take them out...especially since you will be taking the tree out and your GBP is the only thing 'of size' there to play off of. Other wise you're going to be left with a flat landscape and a long time, I would imagine, for other plants to attain height, size. I've seen a lot of Mediterranean style landscaping utilizing GBP.I would think you could look around your immediate area of Fullerton and find some also. There are good books available through the library, including 'Mediterranean Gardening, a Waterwise Approach'. Also, simply google mediterranean garden(s) in images and you'll find lots and lots of ideas of what to do for your landscaping....but I sure wouldn't take those GBP's out...it's your starting point.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Mediterranean style means an eclectic mix of many plants, so it will fit right in.

Wise to get rid of the Araucaria. It will snap eventually because they are brittle. Also way out of proportion to your home. The British first took an interest in Araucaria for use as ship's masts, but the wood is too brittle for that use.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I think the GBPs look good with your tile roof, and they do not dwarf your house. I like your sago too.

I'm trying to imagine how much space will be left after you plant your junipers, and I don't think olive trees will fit. You may want to measure out how far the junipers will jut into your yard at maturity and put up a string line at head-height to get a feel for it. What's left is your yard, and it's going to be pretty small. A dwarf fruit tree might work out ok. I don't think olive trees will work in such a small space, unless you prefer total shade.
    Renee

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

I think that's a Cook Pine-and a very fine looking one too. I wouldn't take too much worry about it toppling-that's one healthy strongly rooted tree. And the Auracaria's are one species of tree I haven't seen any felled yet by a California wind-or rainstorm.
    Wow,your removing a half century or more of growth in that tree..reconsider!

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I would have to agree on the tree. Before I did anything, if possible, I would remove the iron fence and build a stucco wall the same height. This would greatly maximize the looks of your future landscaping plans and give you a better background for your plantings....making an overall look that would go with your plans and facilitate more of a 'courtyad' feel..more privacy also. I think it would be quite worth the cost and / or work.