Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango trees in SoCal?

Posted by wetfeet101b z9 So Cal (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 15:54

Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree outdoors in Southern California? (Specifically the Riverside area).

My concern is that the winters here do get very dry and can dip below 40F.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango trees in SoCal?

Hello,

I have a mango tree growing here in Phoenix (but I'm from SoCal originally). If you look at our temps in winter (Dec. Jan. Feb.), they are basically the same as yours. You may need to protect it on some especially cold nights with Agribon fabric (or equivalent) and Christmas lights but it should be OK. The tree will respond well to the heat that you have in Riverside, although it takes a while for you guys to 'heat up'. They like Phoenix heat. I spray it down at night to humidify the air during the hot dry months (May, June).

The difference is that we have our monsoon season here in July-September(early) which adds major humidity. We get our rain pretty equally divided in summer and winter. You get all your rain basically in the winter, and to prevent root rot, I would suggest planting in a raised bed or mound for good drainage. Mulch in summer and irrigate so that it is quite moist, but rake away the mulch in winter and you want to make sure they stay relatively on the dry side. It helps them to bloom with a 'dry-season'. Watch out for mid-winter heat and dry spells then give it some water.

I would do a mid-late season variety. It takes you awhile to heat up (not like us).

They grow Keitt mangos on a commercial basis in the Coachella Valley in California. They are late season but that was a market decision and not based on climate. My Glenn tree is 'early' season.

Hope that helps.

o

I know someone who grows one successfully in Huntington Beach. The winter lows are probably less extreme there compared to your locale. You might want to try to find more info from the California rare fruit growers web site, www.cfrg.org. They might have info in their "Fruit Facts" section and you can also make an inquiry through the web site to a "Fruit Expert". I'm not a member, but I've got some good information from the website about figs and avocados. Good luck.

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 7:38

They will grow. I have 3 year old plants I started from seed in pots & they are doing fine I leave them outdoors all year. They do need to be protected from frost & sunburn when young, however. You might want to check out Quail botanic gardens, south of you. They have them as part of their exhibit.

o

There's a two story Mango tree in Rancho Cucumonga, north of Foothill, in San Bernardino county. I had to stop and take a picture it wa so prolific. Western exposure right up against the house in a housing development (probably protected from wind, frost, etc.)

MAJOR Mango tree!

Go for it.

o

I have a 'Manila' tree here in Ventura that has been in the ground for 6 years or so. It has fruited the last 3 years and has about 30 mangos fattening up right now. The tree is trouble free and gets no special protection.

I think a mango would thrive in Riverside, a later variety probably is best so the flowers don't get zapped midwinter.

Good Luck

o

Thanks for the responses. The info is very encouraging.
I came from the Philippines originally so a Manila variety mango would be an awesome tree in my yard to remind me of home. :)

o

I have 6-7 year old mango trees, in Chatsworth, Ca 91311,Edward, Glenn, Haden, Kent, Okrung, Nam Doc Mai, Valincia and Mallika, all are doing great, the only one that did not give mangos is the Edward, growing fast but not a single mango on Edward !
also I lost a Bailey's Marvel tree last winter, I think I'll replace it with Brahm Kai Meu.

o

Mangoes in SoCal are a bit of a challenge compared to Florida, especially when young, and I have lost a few over the winters. It is feasible though, not like coconuts. The Indian varieties (e.g., Kent, Keitt, Mallika, Alphonse) seem to do significantly better here than the Indochinese types (e.g, Nam Dok Mai).

o

• Posted by Tania Zone10 Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 4:50

I love my little Keitt tree. It currently has 3 huge mangoes on it. I have pictures of it/them on-line. The link is in the garden gallery.

o

I better get me a mango tree too! If they do well in Chatsworth, they should do well in North Hills. Mango, where did you buy your trees? Thanks.

o

Here you go! Nursery list!

http://www.crfg.org/nurlist.html

I like the San Diego area (Vista nurseries)for good selection at more reasonable prices.

Home Depot and Lowes will carry 'Manila' propagated by La Verne Nursery (wholesaler) but if you are picky California Tropical Fruit Tree nursery and Exotica will have the most selection (call first, CTFT is by appointment).

Good luck.

o

• Posted by
    angel-fl
    (gw:angel-fl) on
    Thu, Jan 26, 06 at 10:16

I'm originally from Bellflower, Ca. and there is a huge mango tree of 605 fwy and Alondra.
Before I left in June 2004, it was loaded.

o

Hi,

There is some nice advice given here so I'd like to ask a question.

I too have a manilla from lowes but not planted. Are they really dwarf? What is the max size if planted in an inland foothill in san diego? Greg, how big is your six year old tree?

thanks in advance.

o

I have a 15 year old Manila mango tree that I got from Home Depot. They do best with a lot of watering in the summer, but otherwise, it is easy and does not get pests. The only time I didn't get fruit was when I pruned it. It's bushy and not all that tall (about 6'), considering its age.

I'm very close to the beach, however, and so our summers are mild and it's never gotten below 40 in the 12 years I've lived here, although this winter was especially cold and it got down to 42. You would need to water yours a lot in the summer, since I believe they are used to wet summers.

Lars

o

Greenlizard,
Do you have a source for Alphonso mango plant? I am looking to grow one. our last mango plant was uprooted by some animal!

o

"I'm originally from Bellflower, Ca. and there is a huge mango tree of 605 fwy and Alondra.
Before I left in June 2004, it was loaded."

Where exactly in Bellfower is the Mango tree along the 605 & Alondra?

o

Alphonso mango trees are sometimes available at Pine Island Nursery in Florida. They ship to California by mail order.

o

Hi,
After reading this post about Mango tree in California. I am looking forward to plant one, I am in Garden Grove.

Question:
1. When is the good time to plant one?
2. Any good nusery in Garden Grove area where I can pick one up? other than Lowes and Home Depot.
3. How large is the root system? So I have to plan how far away from the house.

Thanks everyone.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 23:53

enide:
Generally speaking, tropicals are planted in spring to late spring when temperatures have warmed enough to encourage root growth. Can't answer questions 2 & 3 however, sorry.

o

I have seen a few mango and papaya trees growing in Monterey park and East LA. Question: when planting a mango seed, o we lay it on it's flat side? Or blade side up?, or pointed directly in soil? Thanks, daniel danga61259@yahoo.com

o

• Posted by
    angel-fl
    (gw:angel-fl) on
    Wed, Oct 18, 06 at 13:18

Where exactly in Bellfower is the Mango tree along the 605 & Alondra?
vodreaux:
ok here is the exact location, if you are driving south on 605, exit Alondra, Go right. As soon as you make the right
turn before the LA River bed. There is only two houses there, one of them has the mango tree and you can see it from the sidewalk.

o

Greg in Ventura. Wondering if I could check out you Mango tree. I remember going to a mango tree farm when I was young. Erik.

o

• Posted by sanda Uz10/Sz23 SoCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 14:47

Hi, I'm in North OC. I have a mango in my yard, and it has produced HUGE fruit, and very very sweet. It was labeled VN Mango, and it was very expensive. Anyone heard of this variety?
Sanda

o

I got this mango from my tree yesterday. I bought the tree at Home Depot and was told it was a Manila mango, whatever that means. Here it is cut up. It's very sweet and aromatic.

I haven't heard of the VN Mango.

Lars

o

Sandy, that sounds like a Valencia Pride mango.

o

They can be grown in the bay area. Is it harder to do it here?..um..yes!. But i picked a couple of dozen of different sizes in 06 here in Hayward,off a potted tree.Last years freeze cut the the tree down but not out..it regrew 2' and with a strong root system should be baring again soon. Another Manila planted last summer in the ground is fine and grew more than i thought they would in what turned out to be a below average summer.
AND unlike some marginal tropical fruits..the Mangos were sweet.The bottomline.

o

Hi
I live in SOCAl but in high Desert part by Lancaster and Pamdale. Does anyone know if a Mango tree will grow here?
Thanks Lisa

o

Yes, I live in Riverside, CA and planted a 4' manila mango tree last summer (2007) which is almost 8' now and doing great. It is 8 feet tall but the stem is hardly thicker than a thumb so I had to give it extra support during the last weeks santa ana winds.

o
RE: Mango trees in SoCal

We are looking for a mature Alfonso/Alphonse mango in SoCal. By "mature", I mean fruit-bearing and capable of contributing a cutting or three. We would be very grateful.

o

I'm also in the Corona area of Riverside County and I've just bought a Manilla Mango. I plan to plant it in a spot that is protected by structures on 3 sides, one is an earth sheltered wall. My concern is keeping it small. I'd like to keep it about 10 by 10. what do you think? Is this feasible?

Jane

o

Not only feasible but may not grow larger than that period. Mango's in California dont grow much more than 20' in warmest frost free areas. So,10' would not take much pruning.
Besides,the Mango orchards of the Coachella valley are pruned to about that height for ease of picking.They are Haden mangos I believe.

o

Actually, they are Keitt mangos according to the articles I have read.

o

"Seedlings are a gamble. Supermarket fruits may have been treated to sterilize, or chilled too long to remain viable. These seeds are normally discolored gray. To grow mangos from seed, remove the husk and plant the seed (before it dries out) with the hump at soil level. The seeds normally germinate in two to four weeks, and do best with bottom heat. Multiple polyembryonic seedlings should be carefully separated as soon as they have sprouted so not to loose the cotyledons. Seedling mangos will bloom and bear in three to six years."

more information here - http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html

o

Sanda,
VN Mango is stand for Vietnam Mango. If you can post the picture I can tell you exact name for it. Vietnam mango normally very big and very rare that you can find it in U.S
do you still remember where you bought it from? I really want one :-)
thanks

o

My grandma lives in Cypress, California, and she was given the advice from her local nursery to plant her trees near her chimney in an area protected by citrus to help with the occasional frost and to cut down on wind. She has 2 or three trees that are consistently loaded every year, and she hasn't ever had trouble with frost or wind..

o
Failed pilgrimage to the mango tree :(

I wanted to see the 605 & Alonda tree for myself, and maybe get a lead on what variety it was, how difficult it was to grow, etc. I work in Torrance, which is only 15 miles/20 minutes/$4 in gas :o from the fabled tree, so I took my lunch hour and drove out there.

I parked at Del Taco and walked along the highway, searching for mango trees.

I saw what appeared to be an avocado tree, plus another tree with the right shape of leaf, but no mango fruit nor mango flowers. But it seemed like the right place, based on the description, and there were several other fruit trees in that yard.

Puzzled, I returned to Del Taco to eat lunch and think a bit. Afterward I drove into the neighborhood and parked in front of the suspect house. I waffled for several minutes, wondering if a knock on the door would result in some poor lady calling the police on me, but I plucked up my courage and went ahead to ring the bell.

A very nice older lady answered the door with her Yorkie under arm, and I said, "I'm very sorry to disturb you, Ma'am, but do you have a mango tree in your backyard?" I'm sure this is the first time anyone's ever knocked on her door to ask her that!

She said no, but that she had had one a few years ago. She had to take it out, because it got infested with worms. The blood drained from my face, and I felt like swooning. It was gone. "Did it make good mangos?" I asked timorously.

"They were very good," she said, "But after it got infested they were all full of worms."

I asked if she knew what variety they were, and she just said she thought it was some sort of Hawaiian variety. I gave her my condolences for her tree, thanked her for her time, and then slumped my shoulders and walked slowly away.

My quest was a failure.

Does anyone know of other mango trees that can be seen from the street in Los Angeles, without disturbing anyone's peace or getting arrested? I'm interested in the Indian cultivars, as the Ataulfo/Philippine varieties just don't do it for me.

o

The palm board just posted on Mango trees in soucal many photos...some were around 30' tree's with real tree trunks. Loaded with fruits..
It puts to lie Sunset Book that Mango's in soucal are likely to "remain shrubby and fruit only in mildest areas". Man,urban warming sure change things since that was written! Heck,shrubby mangos are now growing in the bay area!

o

We've had a mango tree in Moorpark for ten years. It's the manila variety, smaller yellow fruit. It gets full sun and is against a stucco wall, so it's one of the warmer spots in the garden. We purchased it as a 5 gal tree. It's been giving us a small amount of fruit for a few years, but we prune it hard.

o

I have a mango tree in my back yard in Simi Valley. It's probably at least 8 years old. I think it's the Manila mango. No fruit yet but I recently took out several trees that were shading the mango tree. Now it's in full sun and growing faster. I'm also watering it more. Its on the sunny side of my yard about 6 or 7 feet from my block wall.

o

• Posted by lthree So. California (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 8:43

There is a BIG one in Lakewood that produces a ton of fruit. If you go behind the Marie Calendar's there is an alley. Turn right, go down the alley almost to the end - it's behind an asian food restaurant - and you can't miss it.

o

I'm new to this forum but saw this post several years ago before I planted my Manila Mango tree. I'm in Rancho Cucamonga and planted mine in an open and unprotected area 3 years ago from a 5 gallon plant. It flowered last year for the first time but did not fruit. This year it produced about 12 fruit. One of them ripened last week and I shared it with my wife and it was as sweet as the mangos we had fresh while in the Philippines. The only thing is that the fruit was about 1/3 the size but was just as tasty. I didn't fertilize this year but will next year for sure. It's about 8 - 9 feet tall but at the time of fruiting only had two branches. It has branched a few more times this year but am debating whether I should prune it back this year to encourage more branching. I now know they do produce quality fruit here even in the inland empire but will welcome any thoughts or responses

o

Hey, saw this forum and was hooked! I want to grow a mango tree and im in SoCal kinda close to the beach. So would that be an issue? We've lately been having some cold nights like in the 30s and 40s. What mango is the best to grow. I probably wouldn't plant it in the ground because I'm renting the house im in. Then lastly does anyone know the best place to pick up a tree? (; Thanx

o

Hannah, you might want to check the tropical fruit forum - see link below to info on mangos in SoCal.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical fruit forum

o

Alfonso mangos in my backyard last year. I live in San Bernardino, California. I get mangos every year from my mango tree. Check out the picture.

This post was edited by shaanp on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 18:08

o

I've often wondered about mango trees in SoCal, especially when I see a mango seed sprout in my compost. Very interesting.

o

I've often wondered about mango trees in SoCal, especially when I see a mango seed sprout in my compost. Very interesting.

o

I know this is old post but anyone looking champa nurseries in El Monte has a lot to choose from on mangos and everything else that grows good in so cal I drive from garden grove its well worth it verry healthy trees and good prices and Jimmy is verry cool guy who knows his stalk

o

I think I accidentally killed my baby mango trees. I planted the seeds in mini pots and decided to transplant them as I thought the tree ran out of space to grow asThe roots had exposed themselves through the small holes underneath the pot. In my effort to release the tree from the pot I accidentally snapped the bottom roots. I transplanted the tree to a larger pot...gave them lots of Sun and water and now (1 week later) the bottom leaves have started to shrivel. I'm SO SAD....I think I killed my my baby trees. Does anyone have any suggestions to save them?

o

Hi everyone I have a manila mango bought from h&h nursery in Lakewood Ca 90713 was put inground last year growing very well gave me 10 delicious mangos last season. It's about 4 feet when I bought and is 8 feet now. I wanna graft 2 different varieties onto my manila. Is there anyone live near me that have a mango tree so I can come over to buy a few small branches. Thank you

o

This years Alfonso mango flowers in my backyard tree. I live in San Bernardino, California

o

Alfonso mango flowers.

o

We purchased a mango and put it in ground about a month ago. We are in the hills overlooking the town of Hemet.

I was worried about our tree until I read this thread. It has lost a few leaves, and the rest look ratty, but it's still a little cold here. As soon as it warms up, I'm thinking it will be fine.

We planted a guava the same day, and it's showing lots of growth. Must be a little tougher than Manila Mango.

Suzi

o

Ventura Mango Trees if anyone in the ventura area has producing mango tree please contact me i have some questions in would like to ask
jonathanburton805@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here