Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to my Ridge Gourd?

Posted by SankarReddy13 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 15:57

Hi,

I am a newbie gardener and started with few tomato plants, ridge gourd and some leafy vegetables. Tomatoes, leafy vegetables are good but having few problems with the ridge gourd. I have few ridge gourd plants very near to each other and they are inter-twined already so its kind of hard for me to isolate if the problem is only for a specific plant or to all of them. The problem is some ridge gourds are going bad (dis colorization and falling off) but others are fine. The ones that are going bad are as small as less than a inch to as big as more than 3 inches. I am attaching some photos of both the good ones and the bad ones. Anyone have a clue on what's going on. By the way, I am in northern california and the soil type is clay. Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11168675@N06/sets/72157627802274022/detail/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to my Ridge Gourd?

The little ones weren't pollinated.

o

Thanks Jean. That is interesting and may be this is where I should think about adding some plants that attract butterflies/bees? Is there anything else that can be done to increase pollination?

I see few bees and some lady bugs on these trees but not a lot though. Appreciate the feedback.

o

You asked "Is there anything else that can be done to increase pollination?"

Yes, you can be the bee by using a small child's paintbrush to spread pollen from open male blossom to open female blossom.

Also need appropriate temps for the plant at hand, neither too high nor too low.

o

I will learn how to do that. Thanks for the reply.

o

I have 5 ridge gourd vines, with profuse leaves and male buds on the axil that never seems to grow, these male flowers just turn yellow in a few weeks and fall off. I see a steady stream of ants marching up and down the vine? What's the problem? Any expertise would be deeply appreciated!

o

do you see any female flowers which have different stamen and usually a small fruit behind the flower. If so take a male and rub it over the female. My gourds have set fruit.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here