Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pocketdeuces_gw

Need help buying lots of plants in SoCal!

pocketdeuces
12 years ago

Hello,

I am hoping for some advice in acquiring a large number of plants for our front/back yard located in West LA.

We have had a designer build a complete plan for us, including a lengthy plant list and a drawing illustrating the location of the plants on our property.

I am now looking for advice on how best to execute on this plan. We had a professional installer bid the entire job, and I was frankly shocked at how much he wants. So, I am wondering whether I can acquire the plants myself at a reasonably priced nursery around LA (I am happy to drive outside the city in order to save money) then hiring my gardener or someone else (again, depending on advice) to complete the job. Besides the plantings, we are looking to plant sod and add new sprinklers.

Any advice on a) good discount nurseries in and around LA and b) recommended plant installers who might be reasonable would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PD

Comments (4)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Get more estimates. Pros buying wholesale can get them far cheaper than you can, and there are a lot of landscapers hungry for work right now.

There's also the issue of quality to consider. A healthy plant well tended is going to cost more than one that has been sitting in a pot for a long time drying out and getting root bound--do you know enough to tell the difference?

The other issue is: which plants? Some are specialty and more difficult to find.

Some are slower growing and therefore more expensive no matter what. Slower growing plants are always much more expensive than fast growing plants (Time = Money in the plant business) but are often far more choice and easy to care for in the long run than fast growing, weedy plants.

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

My bf and I just tackled a similar project, his friend drew a plan with a list for us but we did the install ourselves. We spent three days driving around to all the nurseries in town getting plants and we couldn't find two on the list so we had to substitute other, similar plants. In the end it looks good and we're happy, but a pro who knew a place where they could get everything exactly as listed for less would have had a lot easier time than we did.

• wordgardener
    12 years ago

PD, you get what you pay for. Do get more estimates and ask the bidders for names of references you could call. If you don�t get references, move on.

If you want to buy lots of plants cheaply, any garden center or home improvement store might be your best bet, or google wholesale-retail nurseries Los Angeles County. I don�t recommend the DIY approach to save money. As others have pointed out, professional landscape contractors (use someone licensed and bonded) can buy plants from their regular suppliers far cheaper than you or I could. Then there�s the installation. Hopefully your designer drew some details and specifications for how plants should be installed. If not, get them. There�s more to planting something that will thrive than just digging a hole, placing the plant and backfilling with soil.

Having said all that, the most cost effective way to get a new landscape that will thrive is to get a plan and you�ve done that. Get at least three bids from licensed, bonded professionals with local references. Check the references. Read a contract or agreement carefully before you sign it. If you don�t speak Spanish fluently, insist on an English speaking crew leader (or owner) on the premises when the contractor is at work on your property.

IâÂÂve been in the design and install world for years and have closely monitored the real long and short-term costs of the low bid.

• nancyinla
    12 years ago

Sorry to disagree (partly) with my fellow posters, but in addition to getting another bid, if you have a gardener you like & trust, s/he may be able to do the sod/sprinklers/planting for you at a more reasonable cost, AND, will be around long-term to make sure it's all working. Honestly, for cost reasons that's what I did and I've been happy with the results (and I'm 3 years post-install).

I agree with the comments about the plants purchase, though. Skip the big box if you can and go to the locals for better quality. From where you are, try the Armstrong on Wilshire, or some of the Japanese nurseries on Sawtelle. Bring the line-item plant list and have them give you a bid. Also, keep your ears open for a nursery closing or moving sale.