Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris reticulata in mild winters

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 17:07

I stopped at OSH to pick up a pot, and happened to pass by their new display of bulbs. I bought a package labeled Iris 'Reticulata'. The package shows them growing in a pot and says they reach 6 inches tall, so these must be the species, I. reticulata.

My trusty Sunset Western Garden Book says I. reticulata blooms mid-winter in mild areas (like mine) and "need some subfreezing winter temperatures to thrive". Great! So, unless our winter temps get below 32F, they won't thrive.

Do any of you in mild-winter zones successfully grow this Iris? Should I store it in the freezer and plant it in spring? Or plant them once in a container and toss them after they bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris reticulata in mild winters

I have a few of those. I put in Harmony last year in Oct and all of them came up this spring and all flowered. I probably get a few more chill hours than you.
I have another variety Katherine Hodgkins that is similar to Reticulata and they did good also.

Why not just put in a container and leave them. See what happens the next year before you toss them.
I would think if you froze them without soil they would be mush.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 11:43

Thank you. If I put them in a shallow clay bowl, that might create a mini microclimate that feels below freezing.

o

I had put this in Oct 2010. The leaves came up in 2011 but havent flowered. Now, the leaves are coming out again. Is it too early? Do you think it will flower this year?

Thanks,
Purnima

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here