Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yesterday-today-tomorrow--I have 2 kinds

Posted by socks12345 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 17:09

Hi--

I have two yesterday-today-tomorrow plants in pots. One has light green leaves, the other has wider darker leaves. I would like to take one to plant at the school where I work, but I'm not sure if they have different sun requirements and if they grow to different sizes.

Can anyone give me any information about the differences
between these two plants?

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yesterday-today-tomorrow--I have 2 kinds

The lighter/smaller one is probably a dwarf. I have both kinds.
The dwarf will only get to about 3 feet tall but the other can get rather large. I've seen it on a trellis, but my regular one is in a pot cuz it needs more shade than any spot in the ground I have.
Light requirements are about the same...just morning sun or it will fry unless you are along the coast.

o

I have the smaller leafed one in 1/2 day sun only. The larger leafed one I have seen at nurseries was a hybrid (can't remember name) which also had larger flowers than mine.
(It was tied to a trellis for espaliering which added $20 to the price)

The Latin name is Brunfelsia if you want to do a search.

o

Thank you for your replies. I knew it was Brunfelsia, but there are so many different ones. I looked in the Sunset book, and that wasn't much help either.

I ended up taking the smaller one and good thing I did because it was terribly pot-bound--if plants could talk it would have said, "thank YOU!!" I dug it a great hole, amended with peat moss, and it looks really nice there.

o

Hopefully it will say thank you next year with lots of flowers and growth. Mine have barely grown in 3 years.

o

It is true "plants can't talk", you have to pry the information out of them. I will often tap the plant out of the pot and look at the roots before buying it. So far no nursery has complained about my taking a look. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here