Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

Are you successful with sweet peas?

Are you successful with Sweet Peas? (The ornamental kind) Any tips? They fail here more often than not. A bad spell of Santa Ana winds and they shrivel and vanish.

Comments (16)

• nil13
    10 years ago

I don't grow them any more because of our dog, but I never had a lot of success with sweet peas in the fall and winter. They would grow just fine, but it would get cold before they bloomed and they would just stall out for months. Then in like March they would start growing again and thow off a nice display.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Mine get mildew. I don't grow them any longer.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I am not growing them at the moment,but have in the past. For me they grow well if I remember to bait for slugs when I plant them. If I don't they are eaten off as fast as they appear above ground. They should always be planted in place, not transplanted. Once in bloom they should be picked almost daily to prevent them going to seed and stopping the bloom. This is the best month to plant to get the most out of the plant before hot days shuts it down. Al

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The seeds are now planted "in place". No slugs or snails here; the rats ate them all, and I'm find with mildew on foliage if there are flowers. I'll see what happens, and should they actually produce any flowers, I'll remember to pick them all.

Thanks!

• slogal
    10 years ago

Not sure how your climate compares to mine in SLO but my sweet peas come back every year on their own. Eight or ten years ago I planted 'Cupani' and a Spencer type (various colors, frilly petals). The Cupani has reseeded all these years, the Spencers disappeared. I'm glad because Cupani is my favorite sweet pea; very fragrant and supposedly more heat tolerant than other varieties.

It only comes as a bicolor -- blue and red-purple -- and no fancy frills. But it smells divine and sets a lot of flowers. Haven't ever had mildew on them even though we're in a coastal valley and other plants (most noticeably squash and zinnias) will mildew. Have never baited for slugs and snails -- they must prefer my lettuce. The Cupani sweet peas are quite carefree. They are about 4-6" tall at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupani sweet peas

This post was edited by slogal on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 3:56

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks slogal, I will see if I can find Cupani, too. Pretty colors!

• slogal
    10 years ago

I think they're beautiful. I prefer the darker, saturated colors to the pastel sweet peas.

I started with seeds from Botanical Interests but Renee's Garden and Baker Creek sell them as well. (The photo on the Baker Creek site looks nothing like my flowers; the color is washed out and inaccurate in the pic.)

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I finally learned what these like. A new spot every season and sandy soil for the first 8 inches and then rich composty soil that retains water under that. If you can put down some chicken manure the depth of a spade they love that. Some people say to start them early but I always wait until the dry winds pass. If the spring is mild, mature vines will keep going until the summer comes. You should still be having sweetpeas with the spring flush roses. The lower part of the vines always get ugly so I cut the leaves off then. Any developing seeds will stop the flowering.

I would sow another group just before Thanksgiving. Soak the seeds at least 2 days before planting. If you have the space, the A frame trellises are the best. Mine grow on bamboo teepees or the metal cement reinforcement that is sold on a roll.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks kittymoonbeam, sounds good, I will try that.

slogal, thanks for the email and offer, I was not able to reply because gardenweb setting does not allow for reply. I was able to find some Cupani locally, and will try them at November's end, per kittymoonbeam's suggestion.

• slogal
    10 years ago

Glad you got some seeds. Good luck!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Mine are up from the seed I used about 2-3 years ago. It helps if you soak the seeds.

I hear if you take hwy 46 from the 101 toward the ocean, the sides of the road had them scattered years ago. A farmer enjoyed them.

I plan on adding some to our veggie garden once it starts raining in the tomato zone (no tomatoes this time of year in that bed)

• slogal
    10 years ago

Yes, there are sweet peas blooming every year on Hwy 46 West. The story is near the bottom of the page I linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet peas on 46

• Mikey
    10 years ago

My success, or lack there of, has been hit & miss, mostly miss.... sigh....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Neat story, thanks slogal! A family that loves to grow things. It's beautiful...

mikey, we just have to keep trying!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I used to put the bush type as a border along our front lawn, and they were all blue and looked amazing. They just don't bloom for long! That was in Orange County, CA where most things grow well. I will try them here in Hemet, and they will probably do fine. We have lots of chain link for them to grow on.

Good Luck!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have a package soaking overnight. But the self sown ones are up, everywhere I don't want them :)