Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to mask the bottom non-green Japanese privet hedge in SF?

Posted by nmca none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 17:26

We have a Japanese privet hedge that is probably 50 or more years old. I clipped it (and am willing to clip it further) to about half its heights and it got nice and green foliage at the top now, but the bottom foot and a half or so are still thick stalks with no leaves.

What can I plant under it to make it look better? A row of impatiences (does not seem tall enough)? A row of lavander (seems too tall)? I prefer something flowering. There is only a foot-wide strip along the south-facing house wall in mid-foggy part of San Francisco (the hedge is planted right against the house). While it gets quite a bit of sun, there are also trees that create some shade.and buildings that block early morning and early afternoon sun.

I am not especially attached to privet, I am just too scared of the amount of work to just dig it all up and I need some kind of hedge there that would be about 4-5 feet tall fast, so privet works.

If it is a native plant, so much the better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to mask the bottom non-green Japanese privet hedge in SF?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 15:22

So, you need something about 18" tall and 12" wide, in part sun in foggy zone 15. You may also need something very shallow-rooted, because the hedge plants may have filled the soil pretty solid with their roots. How is the soil there?

You may get new growth lower down on the hedge by pruning the hedge narrower at the top. This would allow more light down to the bottom of the plants, allowing for stimulation of new growth. More light and extra watering might get you more growth down low.

Another option would be to try pruning one plant almost down to the ground. It may come back green all the way to the bottom. Trim it narrower at the top than at the bottom so the base gets sunlight, enabling the base to stay foliaged. If it looks good, you could do that with the rest of the hedge. Being already a well-established hedge, it's going to get back up to 4 or 5' a lot faster than baby plants would.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here