Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Partial shade, drought tolerant plants for coastal San Diego

Posted by llopis 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 18:07

Hello,

Long time luker, first time poster here. I'm having a hard time finding good plants to fill a strip along the house after some remodeling/landscaping.

The strip is between 2 and 3 feet wide, and gets about 3 hours of sun (mid-morning until 1pm or so). See picture.

I was hoping to put in drought-tolerant plants, especially because I don't want much water that close to the house, but I'm finding that most plants that like it dry, also like it sunny and hot. Ideally I would love to plant something along the lines of rosemary and lavander mixed in with a few rocks, but they seem to really want full sun.

Any suggestions on some kind of similar plants that might be a good fit for that space? I'm in coastal San Diego, so that's zone 10a or so (summers never get very hot either--around 80F).

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Partial shade, drought tolerant plants for coastal San Diego

Is that possibly a window you might have open for fragance?
I think goodwin creek lavender will do ok there.
3 dwarf bottlebrushes 'little john' would work also and attract hummingbirds with a hummer feeder hanging would give you plenty to watch.
For lower plants western columbine would work also and they will self seed and propogate.

o

You could also try succulents. Many do not take full sun like cacti do. Kalanchoes and echeverias and some sedums might like it there.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 17:03

Like lgteacher, I would do Echeverias/Graptoverias and other little succulents such as small hybrid Aloes and Aeoniums. Low maintenance and they are happy with just a little sun and no more. Hummingbirds love the flowers, too. If you pick like 4 different kinds and repeat them in groups, it makes for a very cool border.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here