Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EZ perennials to grow from seed? in Zone 15

Posted by modern_miss 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 18:42

I'm in the SF Bay Area - Sunset zone 15 - and I'm curious what you think are the easiest perennials to grow from seeds?

Also, I'm curious which can i stick in the ground now? (I know some need to be chilled)...

I've had great success seeding our state flower. That's given me the confidence to try more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EZ perennials to grow from seed? in Zone 15

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 16:17

Kind of a difficult question because there are literally thousands upon thousands of possibilities. Hard to narrow it down without knowing what kinds of plants you are interested in, what your garden space is like, style, and so forth.

o

I am not in your zone but since no one is replying I will give it a whirl.
lobularia
tagetes
cosmos
Impatiens balsamina
viola, the pansy type
zinnia
columbine
calendula officinalis
portulaca
mirabilis jalapa
alcea
Ipomoea
I have grown them all from seed directly in the ground

This post was edited by emmarene on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:54

o

thanks - that's really helpful. I will give those seeds a try. I also want to just see what will grow in the ground.

o

I have only grown a few bedding-type flowering perennials successfully from seed: rudbeckia, sea holly, columbine, blue flax, and achillea ptarmica. I have also managed to get foxgloves to grow, but I think they are a biennial. It's easy to grow members of the iris family from seed- especially fortnight lilies and candy lilies.

Zinnias, ipomoea, portulaca, calendula, violas, cosmos, and tagetes grow from seed here, but they are all annual. I have had some vincas survive for more than one year, though.

Annual flowers are super easy to grow from seed. I grow California poppies, breadseed and shirley poppies, peony poppies, Iceland poppies, larkspur, red flax, paludosum daisies, bachelor buttons, nigella, bells of ireland, toadflax, Queen Anne's Lace, and lobelia. I have trouble getting vincas and pansies to grow from seed.

o

My list was all annuals; my mistake. My best success with perennials would have to be Iberis. I have them as a very low hedge. I would not have been able to buy so many plants from the nursery due to cost. The hedge has at least twenty plants.
I have two Gerbera Daisy seedlings, I am trying not to kill them.

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 13:15

Easy from seed Perennials in the SF bay area:
Yarrow
Aquilegia
Hollyhock
Gaillardia (short lived - self sows)
Nicotiana
Dahlia (try Bishops Children)
Verbascum (some are biennial - all self sow)

o

also:
Tree mallows (lavatera)
Lemon marigold (Tagates lemonii)
gazanias
borage
Phacelia
Monkeyflower (mimulus)
yerba buena (Satureja)

fall = bulbs, so those are some of the easiest now too. Ginger, iris, garlic, calla, freesia, lilies, ...

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 12:42

Tons and tons of perennials to be grown from seed...sowing in the ground can be 'iffy'. If you get serious about it, sow your seeds in flats of peat mix / potting soil for hundreds and hundreds of plants..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here