Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
modern_miss

EZ perennials to grow from seed? in Zone 15

modern_miss
10 years ago

I'm in the SF Bay Area - Sunset zone 15 - and I'm curious what you think are the easiest perennials to grow from seeds?

Also, I'm curious which can i stick in the ground now? (I know some need to be chilled)...

I've had great success seeding our state flower. That's given me the confidence to try more.

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Kind of a difficult question because there are literally thousands upon thousands of possibilities. Hard to narrow it down without knowing what kinds of plants you are interested in, what your garden space is like, style, and so forth.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I am not in your zone but since no one is replying I will give it a whirl.
    lobularia
    tagetes
    cosmos
    Impatiens balsamina
    viola, the pansy type
    zinnia
    columbine
    calendula officinalis
    portulaca
    mirabilis jalapa
    alcea
    Ipomoea
    I have grown them all from seed directly in the ground

This post was edited by emmarene on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:54

• modern_miss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks - that's really helpful. I will give those seeds a try. I also want to just see what will grow in the ground.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I have only grown a few bedding-type flowering perennials successfully from seed: rudbeckia, sea holly, columbine, blue flax, and achillea ptarmica. I have also managed to get foxgloves to grow, but I think they are a biennial. It's easy to grow members of the iris family from seed- especially fortnight lilies and candy lilies.

Zinnias, ipomoea, portulaca, calendula, violas, cosmos, and tagetes grow from seed here, but they are all annual. I have had some vincas survive for more than one year, though.

Annual flowers are super easy to grow from seed. I grow California poppies, breadseed and shirley poppies, peony poppies, Iceland poppies, larkspur, red flax, paludosum daisies, bachelor buttons, nigella, bells of ireland, toadflax, Queen Anne's Lace, and lobelia. I have trouble getting vincas and pansies to grow from seed.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

My list was all annuals; my mistake. My best success with perennials would have to be Iberis. I have them as a very low hedge. I would not have been able to buy so many plants from the nursery due to cost. The hedge has at least twenty plants.
    I have two Gerbera Daisy seedlings, I am trying not to kill them.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    10 years ago

Easy from seed Perennials in the SF bay area:
    Yarrow
    Aquilegia
    Hollyhock
    Gaillardia (short lived - self sows)
    Nicotiana
    Dahlia (try Bishops Children)
    Verbascum (some are biennial - all self sow)

• dicot
    10 years ago

also:
    Tree mallows (lavatera)
    Lemon marigold (Tagates lemonii)
    gazanias
    borage
    Phacelia
    Monkeyflower (mimulus)
    yerba buena (Satureja)

fall = bulbs, so those are some of the easiest now too. Ginger, iris, garlic, calla, freesia, lilies, ...