Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walkway and raised bed next to front door

Posted by dziadzia 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 18:57

Hi all, I am in San Diego near the coast and am looking for inspiration. I am new to California gardening and trying to learn and ask for advice!

See the attached pic for my walkway just to the left of my front door. We are having the retaining wall replaced and everything (including the house) painted a warm caramel color. I would like some sort of an upright shrub ( or one I could prune up ) planted in the raised bed. The bed is about 5 1/2 ft deep and I would love something relatively drought tolerant and providing year round interest. I considered a manzanita but heard they are slow growing and I want to block out the neighbors grill sooner than later :)

I also want to plant something relatively narrow on either side of the walkway. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walkway and raised bed next to front door

It might be just me,but I don't see a front door or a walkway in this picture.Can't quite figure out what it is i'm looking at!! Did you by any chance post the wrong picture???

I'm just north of you in Oceanside,also along the coast.I have heavenly bamboo planted near my front porch.I like it as it's colorful year round,and in the fall has berries for the birds.

Let me see if I can find a picture.

Here you go,it's the bush/hedge on the left side in the picture,and you can see the nice coloring it has.

heavenly bamboo-hydrangeas photo DSCF0826.jpg

hth
Kathi

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 20:43

I think the OP means those stepping stones are the walkway. The raised bed and neighbor's barbeque in the distance and center of photo.

How much sun do the areas get, and are you right along the ocean or inland a ways? That matters.

o

I have those in a brand new home we just purchased. It was a former model home. How tall do the bamboo get?

o

Heavenly bamboo isn't bamboo at all, but Nandina domestica. It stays at about 4' or so. Looks better not hedged, but left in a more natural growth pattern.

Elaine

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 2:10

Ultimate size of Nandina can vary tremendously depending on cultivar, from 18" to 10 feet tall.

o

Hedge or natural is a personal preference thing!!!
Kathi

o

Thanks for the input all! The pic is the view of someone standing at my front door and looking to the north. The walkway gets part sun and the bed above the wall is in full sun. We are about 2 miles from the ocean.

I am considering a leucandendron safari sunset for the raised bed area. I would love something with some height in the walkway but that may not be practical without using a trellis...

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 16:21

Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' is beautiful plant. It would make more of an airy screen than a dense privacy screen.

A trellis or better yet a series of trellises would be a really good idea if you want height but still want to use that walkway as a walkway. It looks pretty narrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here