Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Id please: saw in SF Bay Area

Posted by homey_bird Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 19:55

Hi all,

I am trying to identify the beautiful plants that looked tropical in a house garden (on sale) in SF Bay Area, and would appreciate help in identifying.

It seems either a heliconia or a ginger, and leaves can be both plain or variegated. The plants seem to grow in a clump,

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Zillow link to on market property with gorgeous plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Id please: saw in SF Bay Area

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 21:19

Alpinia zerumbet variegated, I think.

Geeze, 1.9 for a 1600 sq ft Eichler...

o

Yes, I agree. :-) But DH and I really really enjoyed the house. Very pretty house and a gorgeous yard.

o

BTW -- checked out the pics on google. Alpinia zerumbet seems to be a shorter plant than those in this garden. These plants were about 4-5 ft tall and not as dense. But they might have been majorly trimmed to reduce dense look. Thanks for posting.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 2:50

Alpinia zerumbet variegata is the plant in your photo, and size/compactness can vary considerably depending on environmental growing conditions. The straight species is considerably taller growing, but also more likely to bloom.

o

It can be a large clump-I have seen them in full sun up to 6' tall and 8-10' wide around the corner. They pruned it way back before I could take a pic. It was impressive!

o

Thank you all for the confirmation. How exactly does it need be grown for a vertical sparse (not very dense) habit? (i.e plenty water or dappled shade or raised planters etc.)

o

In part shade here in the bay area? It can and will reach 9'. Just be careful on the shade part...too much,too deep, and they will languish and die.
They are also very sensitive to being dug up and moved. They are not like the Gingers that die down in winter. The variegated will flower...but they are not as large flowers here as the all green or even the variegated in hot summer climates in soucal.

o

Thank you for sharing. The ones that I saw were not in flower but just foliage was so striking that I'd grow it for that sake! Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here