Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worldwide Exotics and drought tolerant plants

Posted by annemarieo 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 20:23

Have any of you been here or know about this nursery. I went by yesterday and walked through the plants for awhile. No one seemed to be there. No one came to help me. I am going to try again. They are only opened to public on Saturdays. They have a web site with a large list of plants they grow. Some very beautiful photos! I also need some suggestions for more drought tolerant low water use plants. I have a couple lavenders and some natives. The plants on the web site are all listed with real names not the common name. I would appreciate some suggestions if anyone knows scientific names. I bought some Lantana today. I have full sun in front yard. Back yard is morning sun. Filtered in some areas.
Thank you. Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worldwide Exotics and drought tolerant plants

I haven't been there, but have you checked out Theodore Payne for natives? They offer classes...

o

I haven't been there is over a year. I used to go regularly and the dd and mom were always very helpful. Recently I was in the area and thought they had closed! Sorry, can't help with drought tolerant plants because I love the jungle look.

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 19:21

I'm also in zone 10, near the coast so I get a lot of fog in May and June. My lantana, rosemary and ceanothus don't require any water except rain (once established) although I hose them off occasionally to get the dust off of the leaves. I water Teucrium chamaedrys and Cistus once a month. South African bulbs like babiana, watsonia and freesia survive on rain alone.

Are you looking for shrubs, perennials, bulbs, trees . . .

o

Kelpmermaid , I was a member of Theodore Payne. Had to drop it when $ got tight. I have a few plants in my garden from there. I love going there wish I had time for classes. Maybe some day.
Eloise, Good to hear I will definitely go back to Worldwide Exotics. They had so much there . I just needed some guidance .
Socalgal, I am looking for perennials , shrubs flowers. Bulbs , but I don't have good luck with them. I am going to look up the plants you mention. Though I am in the valley where it gets quite hot. I would need to water more then you.
Thank you all for the replies,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here