Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental wire fencing in CA

Posted by KristineCA z10 CA (Coast) (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 05 at 20:30

Greetings all. I'm looking to use old-fashioned double loop wire fence in the front yard of my 1920's house (not a bungalow, but kind of a mini-tudor cottage). I've read all the threads on ornamental single and double loop wire fencing and ordered 2 foot high looped wire fencing in a 100' roll from Michael's Fences in WY.

I need one 8-10' piece of 36" or 48" ornamental wire (double or single loop, old or new) to use as a trellis. Is there anybody in CA that would be willing to sell me just the 10'? I'd even pay for your old, rusty wire fencing--and I'll come take it down! I've called the distributors and manufacturers of the wire, who in turn gave me the hardware supply houses in CA. NONE of them sell the wire to any hardware stores near by. It's a special order item--but I do not want 100' at $150 plus shipping.

If you've seen the wire at one of your local hardware, garden or feed stores, could you please let me know? We travel all over the state, but can also mail order it. If you have any you want to get rid of, please let me know. Thanks, Kristine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental wire fencing in CA

Kristine,
Placer Farm Supply in Newcastle (right below Auburn) has it in rolls. I don't know if they sell it in less than a roll but a call would sure be easy. Thier nubmer is 916-663-3741.

I can look and see if I have any left...I know I had a small piece left but I am thinking it is like 3-4 ft.

When I found Placer, it was through a company in Colorado that wholesales it, and they gave me the number of retail places that carry it and Placer was closest to me. If necessary I might be able to find that CO company again.

o

• Posted by suzieh z9 Altadena CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 16:39

Great idea! My old timey fence is buried under awful ivy (I rent and can't clear it...plus neighbor is nosey)

Lincoln Avenue Lumber in Pasadena might be able to help you. They've been around since the early 1900s!

http://lincolnavenuelumber.com/
626-791-1231

This company's fences are found all over my area.
Maybe they can help?

Western Fence Co.
Altadena 626.449.1676

Freecycle? Craigslist? Salvage place?

o

Have you tried old town Orange there is a hardware store there that stocks all kinds of great old (and reproduction) things. Sorry, can't remember the name. Also maybe Denmans in Orange might know.We restored a bungalow inside and out and found the following places very useful:

Tony's Architectural Salvage
123 N Olive St, Orange, CA
(714) 538-1900

Big Ten Building Materials
(626) 791-9747
757 W Woodbury Rd
Altadena, CA 91001

Freeway Building Materials
(323) 261-8904
1112 S Boyle Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90023

http://www.santafewrecking.com/index.html

Ohmega Salvage
2407 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA Phone 510-843-7368 Fax 510-843-7123

o

• Posted by suzieh z9 Altadena CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 05 at 15:44

Search this VERY LONG and informative post on resources
on gardenweb. I found it today by accident. Susan

"Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow"
Posted by Jane Hardy - Tennessee (jhardy@careerresources.net) on Wed, Nov 15, 00 at 17:33

o
Wrought Iron Gate/Fencing in Pasadena

Help! I have intruders coming through my garden at night.I need a wrought iton gate and a fence section. 12'x 8' approx. Is there anyone here who can refer me to someone that can do quality work? Greatly appreciate any leads.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 18:24

grnchillipepper, where are you? fencing contractors are usually very local to a particular area.

o

I have 7 rolls of the ornamental single loop fence available. It is new (never used) and is perfect for the victorian, cottage or farmhouse yard, garden, pet area etc. I love it, but decided my yard is just too big to fence in, so I used it for just my pet area. It is VERY VERY hard to find I know since I looked for it for over a year before I found it. I'll be sad to let it go, but would love for someone to use it as I originally intended. My loss is certianly someone's gain. This fence is selling for nearly $300 a roll (+ shipping) and I've seen it for $475.00 per roll just today. This is the 48" fence and is 100 foot rolls . I'm selling all 7 rolls for just $1200.00 (local pickup OHIO only- due to its weight which is nearly 122 lbs each roll)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Fence for Sale

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here