Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristineca

Ornamental wire fencing in CA

kristineca
18 years ago

Greetings all. I'm looking to use old-fashioned double loop wire fence in the front yard of my 1920's house (not a bungalow, but kind of a mini-tudor cottage). I've read all the threads on ornamental single and double loop wire fencing and ordered 2 foot high looped wire fencing in a 100' roll from Michael's Fences in WY.

I need one 8-10' piece of 36" or 48" ornamental wire (double or single loop, old or new) to use as a trellis. Is there anybody in CA that would be willing to sell me just the 10'? I'd even pay for your old, rusty wire fencing--and I'll come take it down! I've called the distributors and manufacturers of the wire, who in turn gave me the hardware supply houses in CA. NONE of them sell the wire to any hardware stores near by. It's a special order item--but I do not want 100' at $150 plus shipping.

If you've seen the wire at one of your local hardware, garden or feed stores, could you please let me know? We travel all over the state, but can also mail order it. If you have any you want to get rid of, please let me know. Thanks, Kristine

Comments (8)

• jninejc
    18 years ago

Kristine,
    Placer Farm Supply in Newcastle (right below Auburn) has it in rolls. I don't know if they sell it in less than a roll but a call would sure be easy. Thier nubmer is 916-663-3741.

I can look and see if I have any left...I know I had a small piece left but I am thinking it is like 3-4 ft.

When I found Placer, it was through a company in Colorado that wholesales it, and they gave me the number of retail places that carry it and Placer was closest to me. If necessary I might be able to find that CO company again.

• suzieh
    18 years ago

Great idea! My old timey fence is buried under awful ivy (I rent and can't clear it...plus neighbor is nosey)

Lincoln Avenue Lumber in Pasadena might be able to help you. They've been around since the early 1900s!

http://lincolnavenuelumber.com/
    626-791-1231

This company's fences are found all over my area.
    Maybe they can help?

Western Fence Co.
    Altadena 626.449.1676

Freecycle? Craigslist? Salvage place?

• sputnikfarm
    18 years ago

Have you tried old town Orange there is a hardware store there that stocks all kinds of great old (and reproduction) things. Sorry, can't remember the name. Also maybe Denmans in Orange might know.We restored a bungalow inside and out and found the following places very useful:

Tony's Architectural Salvage
    123 N Olive St, Orange, CA
    (714) 538-1900

Big Ten Building Materials
    (626) 791-9747
    757 W Woodbury Rd
    Altadena, CA 91001

Freeway Building Materials
    (323) 261-8904
    1112 S Boyle Ave
    Los Angeles, CA 90023

http://www.santafewrecking.com/index.html

Ohmega Salvage
    2407 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA Phone 510-843-7368 Fax 510-843-7123

• suzieh
    18 years ago

Search this VERY LONG and informative post on resources
    on gardenweb. I found it today by accident. Susan

"Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow"
    Posted by Jane Hardy - Tennessee (jhardy@careerresources.net) on Wed, Nov 15, 00 at 17:33

• grnchilipepper
    16 years ago

Help! I have intruders coming through my garden at night.I need a wrought iton gate and a fence section. 12'x 8' approx. Is there anyone here who can refer me to someone that can do quality work? Greatly appreciate any leads.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

grnchillipepper, where are you? fencing contractors are usually very local to a particular area.

• donna45869
    15 years ago

I have 7 rolls of the ornamental single loop fence available. It is new (never used) and is perfect for the victorian, cottage or farmhouse yard, garden, pet area etc. I love it, but decided my yard is just too big to fence in, so I used it for just my pet area. It is VERY VERY hard to find I know since I looked for it for over a year before I found it. I'll be sad to let it go, but would love for someone to use it as I originally intended. My loss is certianly someone's gain. This fence is selling for nearly $300 a roll (+ shipping) and I've seen it for $475.00 per roll just today. This is the 48" fence and is 100 foot rolls . I'm selling all 7 rolls for just $1200.00 (local pickup OHIO only- due to its weight which is nearly 122 lbs each roll)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Fence for Sale

• Cameron Lloyd
    7 years ago

Your best bet for the wire/gates that are new but built like the old style is www.bigredwire.com.au they ship to the USA as well.