Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

Southern CA 'Fall Colors'

siegel2
14 years ago

Here in southern CA we don't get the kind of Fall colors one finds in northern CA and much of the rest of the USA.

However, we do get some color in our gardens in Autunm.

Here's some Fall color from my yard taken today, October 11.

If you have any Fall color in your garden, please post some photos!

{{gwi:561307}}

{{gwi:561308}}

{{gwi:561310}}

{{gwi:561311}}

{{gwi:561313}}

Comments (8)

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

It's not time for our traditional "fall colors" yet. We don't get the flaring red, orange and yellow foliage until early December or sometimes not until near Christmas time (San Joaquin Valley). But I've already turned the automatic irrigation off to prepare my succulents for winter and their colors are coming out real nicely. The euphorbia tirucalli are all red and orange, and so are the kalanchoe (flap jacks). Some of my aloes are getting some red coloration on the tips too! I will post pictures later on in the week when I get a chance. Cool Plumeria! Im still waiting for mine to bloom.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's some non-flower Fall color from the garden.

Ginger
    {{gwi:561315}}

Snowbush
    {{gwi:561316}}

Ae Ae
    {{gwi:561317}}

New red leaf on my Chanbeyronia macrocarpa palm
    {{gwi:561318}}

New growth on the tropical Crepe myrtle (Lagerstroemia speciosa)

{{gwi:561319}}

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

Here are some pics from Central CA. We had a really strong rainfall (by our standards) this past week, followed by some really warm, humid conditions. It reminded us of the weather in El Salvador.

{{gwi:561320}}
    {{gwi:561321}}
    {{gwi:561322}}
    {{gwi:561323}}
    {{gwi:561324}}
    {{gwi:561325}}
    {{gwi:561326}}
    {{gwi:561327}}

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

agary- you have a tropical paradise! I love those red/orange flowers- the median on Santa Rosa Road in Camarillo is blooming with them right now and it will knock your socks off. Centracali- I'd love to see more shots of your boulders and landscape.

Here are a few from the flower garden here:
    {{gwi:561328}}
    Amaranth and Cosmos

{{gwi:561329}}
    Hemerocallis "Egyptian Queen" with cosmos
    {{gwi:561330}}
    Sedum and senecio

Renee

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

Renee, I love the texture created by the plants in the last photo (senecio, sedum and barrel cactus). Also, is that Japanes Blood Grass in the first pic behind the amaranthus? I've been tempted to try it, but I'm afraid it needs bog conditions, am I right?

I don't have much space in my yard, so I recently (May '09) took out a huge swath of lawn and am now growing succulents. All of the plants are fairly young, with the exception of the pre-existing palms and shrubs. There are so many interesting succulents out there! The boulders are from a friend's property. They own some land in the Sierra Nevada foothills and they let us haul rocks over to use in our yard. He uses boulders in his valley home because we lack naturally occuring boulders like those. Here are some other pics of the succulent garden:

This section has mostly aloes, with some Callistemon, leafy euphorbias and grevilleas to add some leafy textures.
    {{gwi:47180}}
    {{gwi:561331}}

And this section has mostly Agaves, Yuccas, Furcraea, a Ceanothus and some ground cover manzanitas. The petunias are only temporary groundcover.
    {{gwi:561332}}
    {{gwi:62718}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Feel free to browse through my photobucket album

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Oooh- thanks for the link! You have layered your plants well. That is a talent I much admire. I always end up with the tall stuff in the front.

On your question, yes, it is Japanese blood grass, but it does fine here with 30 minutes of lawn overspray a week. I think that's why it has not taken over the whole yard.

I love the blue senecio too. That section of my yard used to be all succulents, but a tree was removed and everything got burned, so I had to move them to a shadier spot.

Renee

• surfcityhb
    14 years ago

Forest Pansy redbud

{{gwi:520466}}

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

Renee, The layering is actually just random placing! lol. I didn't really think about it, I just kind of randomly place plants as the yard evolves. I think somehow, things worked out though. haha. I think I am going to give the Japanese Blood Grass a try. I really like the red coloring. I was in Pismo this last weekend and I saw some there, along with some golden yellow ornamental grass. I would like to replicate that somehow.

Surfcity, wow, your redbud already has fall color?! It seems rather early, especially for z10. I have the normal redbud that hasn't even the hint of yellow yet. (we're about 25 miles west of the Western Redbud's native range in z9b, sunset z9). Does Forest Pansy drop its leaves earlier?