Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shannon wants to know about Sweet Alyssum

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 25, 09 at 21:51

Hi all,
Shannon just posted on the roll call thread, but I was afraid no one would see her question. She wants to know what to do with her Sweet Alyssum that has gone to seed. Any recommendations?

Welcome, Shannon! Your yard sounds like a challenge.

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shannon wants to know about Sweet Alyssum

They are an annual and you can just remove the plant once it does its "pretty flowers" thing. I hate to be a doom sayer . . . but I'd toss the plant and put out weed inhibitor. As beautiful as that first alyssum is the three million that will come up over the next ten years become a real bother.

o

Alyssum is an annual that does reseed prolifically. You can put down a pre-emergent as suggested above or let it reseed, but it may not always reseed where you want it to.

o

Just let them be. Really. They actually last several years for me. I use them as groundcover and they bloom almost the whole year for me, setting seeds almost all year long. I never cut them back so they form a nice thick, drought tolerant groundcover mat and keep other weeds at bay.

o
RE: Sweet Alyssum

Hi,

Thanks for cross-posting this. I was going to give it a day or two in the roll call thread and then move it into its own thread, so thanks.

Appreciate everyone's input on alyssium, I'll have to re-read them. Looks like doing nothing will work, but I still wonder if I should remove the ugly scraggly brown bundles that are all over,....or if they are best left as groundcover during rainy season.

just for the record here is my original question:

>I'll toss out one little question here that is on my mind today - anyone know much about Sweet Alyssium? Much of the large front yard (that was lawn a decade or more ago) bloomed beautiful little Alyssium flowers in about March or April, and over the summer it has grown to about a foot long and is scraggly, and brown (we didn't and still don't really have irrigation sorted out). My questions are: will the Alyssium regrow, or seed itself so will it regrow? Should I leave in place the long brown bushy piles that are left all around the yard, to keep from having bare dirt in the rainy season, or should I cut them back or pull them out? If I want more in the spring (it's a convenient ground cover until we have time to make a better plan) do I need to buy and put out seed? etc.

o

Some people mow and they send out new growth rapidly.

If you have lots of seedlings they will quickly replace the scragglies if you pull them out.

I routinely pull out the parent plants when they become unsightly. By that time they have scattered new seed.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 16:52

Like iris_gal, I pull them out when they start to look ratty and seedlings replace the old ones. This is a big staple in my yard, because the pollen feeds beneficial insects when the aphids are not around to feed them. Then when aphids do show up, they are quickly eaten. I rub out unwanted seedlings with my foot. Such a handy plant.

o

I have had a bunch of Alyssum for about 3 years. When I first had them they would flower, the parent plant would die and then new seedlings would come up some time after I removed the dead parent plant. Now that they are well established, there is a constant cycle of re-seeding, so I barely even notice when the parent plant dies as the new ones emerge so frequently. It's a great border plant and needs very little water. They occasionally come up in different places in my landscape via re-seeding, but they haven't gotten out of control.

-Brett

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here