Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone keep avocado tree small by pruning?

Posted by elvie z9CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 22:45

Hi everyone.Is it possible to keep an avocado tree small with the same type of summer pruning and closer plant spacing methods advocated for other fruit trees, keeping the fruit mostly reachable without a ladder?

I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone keep avocado tree small by pruning?

Tried, gave up.
Renee

o

If it were possible I do not think you would get any fruit. My avocados have always been out of reach from the ground,but I wish it were not so. Al

o

If you haven't already planted your trees, you might consider dwarf varieties. Do a google search on key words 'dwarf avocado'. Lots of interesting looking hits.

As Al said, that high-hanging fruit can be a royal pain.

o

Does anyone know if you multi-graft a dwarf avocado you buy, will it keep the additional varieties as small as the orginal?

Carla in Sac

o

I got the idea from this video.

Here is a link that might be useful: avocado hass 24 low branching

o

Yeah. Except that when it is in the ground and happy, it will send a huge new bright green branch straight up for the stars. At least one. Maybe three, like mine did. Then you cut that branch way back, and five more sprout out of that and grow straight for the stars.

If you are young and strong you can keep them small if you stay on top of it. Miss a year or two, though, and you have a lot to prune. I have an Oro Blanco grapefruit and a snow queen nectarine that I keep poodled. But the avos got away from me.
Renee

o

• Posted by mikey SoCal-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 13:25

I bought a semi-dwarf Gwen some 12 years ago and it now tops out at about 15'. Much of the fruit is within hand's reach, however, I do use an 8' picking pole that has a wire basket on the end to snag and pull off fruit too far up to reach by hand.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 18:03

On multi-graft anything, usually one variety eventually outgrows all the others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here