Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement for yellow Kangaroo Paw

Posted by JoonB SZ 23 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 23:09

My front yard (west facing) has a theme of westringia fruticosa, morning lights, pitt crass, hebe veronica, marjorie channon, lots of aenoniums and 2 large redbud trees. I love it. However, in the center between our two trees, we have yellow kangaroo paw. It just doesn't seem to take- i don't know if it's too much or too little water. I would love to hear suggestions that might go with the plant palette that I have mentioned. I believe it's more NZ/Australian natives. I don't want anything tropical. Is there any plant that can be somewhat of a showcase and be yellow/squash colored?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement for yellow Kangaroo Paw

Here are a few ideas:

Artic Mullein (verbascum)

Moraea bicolor

Tall bearded iris reblooming varieties, Forever Gold, Bayberry Candle, Harvest of Memories

Spuria iris (wonderful bronzes, golds, etc. but they get tall)

Daylilies

I love the color of yellow kangaroo paws, especially when they are backlit. My mom's didn't do well this year either, so maybe it was just a bad year for them. I have never been able to keep the yellow ones healthy, though.
Good luck.
Renee

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 14:04

Anigozanthus 'Harmony' may be an easier yellow flowered form to try, as with all of them, they can be difficult to establish in hot weather as the roots can dry out too quickly before they get rooted in. A month into the winter rains is usually a great time to get them established, avoid under and overwatering. Other yellows to consider in the same vein of taller yellow flowers might include Achillea 'Coronation Gold' or Bulbine frutescens, or one of the yellow flowering forms of Alstroemeria.

o

Thanks very much for your suggestions. We did plant the kangaroo paw in early July. Right now they look incredibly sad looking :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here