Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
night time birds

Posted by tim45z10 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 23:19

What kind of bird is it that flies around at night. The sound it makes is a sreech. I thought it was an owl. But the sound it makes doesn't match any I looked up. Any hepl would be appreciated. Thank you
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: night time birds

I have mockingbirds around at night but they don't screech.
I have another songbird also but don't know what it is but its not screechy either.
Is it just at dusk or really at night when very dark?

o

I guess I should have said I live coastal San Diego. They are not mocking birds. They come well after dark They fly about 50 ft off of the ground. I also believe they had a nest in a tall palm tree. I thought they might be barn owls, but the sound they make doesn't match what I researched.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 2:24

Bats? We have bats around here. Their wings flutter very rapidly. No screeching though.

Owls here hoot back and forth to each other, after dark for several hours and again just before dawn.

o

Maybe they are barn owl fledglings??? Here in Temecula we have barn owls and hear a lot of screeching at night when the young ones are being taught how to fly/hunt. Try the Raptor Forum - they are very helpful.

o

Barn owls screech. I'll bet it's baby barn owls.
Renee

o

How about Screech Owls? We have those here in the Fresno area.... why not SD

o

Screech owls hoot. Barn owls screech. I wonder if hoot owls barn? Groan.
Renee

o

LOL, Renee!

o

Yep, barn owls screech, go figure! You're lucky to have those guys around eating up your rodents and gophers.

o

tim45z10,
I'm pretty confident that you're seeing one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tyto_alba_1_Luc_Viatour.jpg
It's a Western Barn Owl (which are apparently found all over the world). We've have some nesting in a neighbor's palm tree two years running. They're beautiful to watch... powerful fliers. They frequently swoop in low to investigate my nieghbor when he leaves for work at 2:15 a.m. Noisy with an oddball collection of vocalizations. Sometimes they make a sound like a squirrel-cage fan motor that's out of balance (chikchikchikchikchikchik...) for minutes on end. Enjoy, they're big rat eliminators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Barn Owl

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 4:10

I've also heard them make sounds like tires screeching on pavement and a tick tocking noise.

If it's an odd noise at night, it's prolly a barn owl. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here