Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Fruit Trees to Plant in Los Angeles?

Posted by eggalinameggalina southern c.a. (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 23:27

I was wondering what are the easiest, most fruit bearing trees to plant in Southern California. I just put in a dwarf avocado and I also have two figs, a pomegranate, lemon, lime, and orange. Do you think its wise to try apples or peaches? The citrus trees seem to have a lot of different maladies, while the figs seem to be thriving on their own. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Fruit Trees to Plant in Los Angeles?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 2:22

Apples or peaches you need a no-chill variety and apples are the most pest-prone fruit trees there are. Peaches you need to dormant-spray every year for leaf curl. What about strawberries? Not a tree, but they're easy and much tastier grown at home.

o

Persimmons need very little care, once established most trees produce abundant crops with little fertilizer.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 22:05

Pomegranates fit that category too. Plums are so abundant that they can become a nuisance with all the fallen fruit. I'm not sure about the pluot and aprium crosses' resistance to disease, but I'm considering one of those. No chill pears and Asian pears are a possibility too. Grape and kiwi vines are worth considering, grapes sprawl but kiwis can be trained upward into a large shrub form

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson Backyard Orchard

o

You can ignore the chilling hours on apples, as they will all bear for you. But for trouble-free fruit, Anna and Dorsett Golden bear before most of the pests show up and give heavy, reliable crops annually. Anna especially is great for fresh-eating and makes killer pies.

Fuyu persimmon is pest and trouble free, and also bears very heavy crops of tasty fruit annually.

Applenut

o

The four guava trees I got here in Torrance thrive in full sun. When I had passion fruit vines, they did very well in full sun.

o

Pineapple guavas are easy, pretty, and productive. Loquats are yummy and very pretty landscape trees, too.
Renee

o

If you totally easy and care free, I would consider Loquats, Persimmons, Lemons, Avocados (some are easy, some are not), Figs (super easy... in fact, weeds in a way), many species of Passion vine, Concord Grapes, Grapefruits, Kumquats, Bananas (these require some removal, support and replanting, but pretty easy). These are so easy hardly any watering or worry needed. I find the stone fruits to be more of a hassle and less likely to make a good crop without extra care and battling of the pests.

o

I can go to almost any store and find good and inexpensive apples, pears and citrus, especially if I go to farmers' markets, co-ops and roadside stands. Including getting pretty good organic stuff. I know I can't grow that stuff any cheaper or better in my home orchard. Yeah, I know that avocados are often obscenely pricey in markets but there's a truck on the side of the road not far from here that's selling "local, organic avocados" 5/$1.00! Plus, I don't know anyone who eats all the avocados from their mature backyard tree.

I'd rather grow things that I can't find easily or cheaply. I think a home orchard in California should grow the kind of stuff we do so well in home gardens here: apricots (inc. apriums), European plums, cherimoya, Chilean guava, Mexican guava, Strawberry guava, pineapple guava, figs, sapote, cactus fruit, jujubes, loquat, black mulberry, pomegranate, chestnuts, and persimmon.

A whole wealth of exotic fruit hybrids that the commercial people haven't caught onto yet: nectaplums, peach-plums, and a gazillion nicer pluots/plumcots.

And some exotic citrus: citrangequats, limequats, orangelos, and tangelolos.

Joe

o

Cherimoyas are delicious. I had a friend in Camarillo who grew them, but I have never seen one in Simi Valley. I think it's too dry for them here. Otherwise I'd grow them.

I have been unable to purchase peaches, nectarines, or apricots that taste anything like the ones grown at home, so I think these are good choices for a backyard garden. My neigbors have apricots on one side and peaches on the other, so we grow nectarines. Works perfectly.

I love my avocado trees because I can give avocados away for half the year. Avocado trees are a great way to win friends and influence people! Loquats do not work as well.
Renee

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 14:49

I know this has been talked about before, GG1950, but how do we frost-free coastal LA gardeners get past the chilling hour requirements (like the ones I linked at Dave Wilson's site) for stone fruit? Any thoughts on fungal-resistant hybrid plumcot cultivars for the coast?

o

Dicot,

Don't bother trying to grow high chill hour fruit. There are many low chill fruits able to frost free gardeners, cherries included.

Gardenguru,

Totally agree with you, grow the stuff you can't get in the store, or is to expensive. I grow more then half the list you mentioned.

o

On the one hand, I think we make too big a deal about "chill hours". Only because most of the fruits that we can grow in California (coastal, inland, wherever) aren't impacted by the concept. There's literally hundreds of Mediterranean and Subtropical fruit that don't need nor want "chilling".

On the other hand, if you do stick with those fruits that supposedly need it (most pomes and stones), get the cultivars that are suited to your chill zone. I say that as a recommendation to beginners or those who simply want a dependable fruiting tree. Many will suggest that "chilling" isn't a viable concept and that gardeners should grow any kind of apple or cherry or whatever. Fact is, even those who suggest that admit that you can't be guaranteed a good crop ever year.

dicot: as for coastal plumcots, have you tried 'Flavorella' or 'Flavor Grenade'? And do you have a 'Santa Rosa' plum for a pollinator?

Joe

o

Try a Papaya, doesn't take up much space.

o

I'm in USDA zone 10, Sunset zone 24 - have seen frost once in 20 years. I successfully grow Anna apples, Monterey pears, Santa Rosa Plum (weeping) and several low chill peaches: May-pride, Mid-pride, Florida Prince, and Bonanza II (a dwarf tree with full size peaches). The troubles I have had (lots of fog during the summer) are peach leaf curl, apple scab, powdery mildew (on the apple), some fireblight on the pear, and some sort of fungus on the plum and peaches late in the season.

o

gardenguru,

where is the best place to get these exotic fruit trees?

It's not like the variety at my local Home Depot is that extensive.

Do you recommend any place?
thanks

o

Chill hours are hours below 45 degrees, not below freezing. Anna apples do well, even near the coast. My sister grows cherimoyas and mulberries in Costa Mesa, and many of my nieghbors grow guavas. If you want stone fruit, the Dave Wilson chart will tell you which varieties need the fewest chill hours. You can ask your local chapter of California Rare Fruit Growers for suggestions. I just planted nectaplum and aprium, because I decided to get something I couldn't easily buy in the store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Fruit Trees

o

Check out the Papaya Tree Nursery website for the truly exotic stuff. Alex Silber, the owner, will answer questions via email and is often at local CRFG meetings. San Gabriel Nursery in San Gabriel has good trees though I haven't really looked for the exotic stuff there. Ditto for Green Arrow in North Hills

o

My Santa Rosa plum died from root rot since I posted, so I give up on stone fruit near the coast. A Mexi-lime or more grapes is next on the list.

o

Go with grapes. New citrus pests on the way.

o

Weeping Santa Rosa for Sunset 24? I am in 23 and was told I would never get fruit. Those are beautiful trees and supposed to have superior flavor. How much fruit are you getting in 24? I might try it if you get reliable results.

I grow Fuji and Pink Lady apples with success as well as Tangerines, strawberries, Santa Rosa plum, Pomegranate, fig and blueberries. Blueberries take lots of water and special soil. I grew bananas very well but you have to cut down the stalk that just made fruit and it is very heavy and full of water. It was a pain to dispose of it and I didn't have the room to let it lay there so goodbye bananas.

Across the street are two date palms that make dates in abundance every year. They aren't the tall kind you see in Palm Springs. They look very pretty and the dates are high quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here