Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannah82_gw

DG Pathways, stabilized or not?

hannah82
9 years ago

Hello fellow Californians!

As part of our re-landscaping the front yard with Ca. natives, my husband and I are planning to install a DG pathway in our front yard. There are a lot of recommendations online advocating the use of stabilzers, but I thought I'd ask if there are some of you out there that have used DG w/out stabilizers and not have your paths turn out smooshy after our fall/winter rains? Here are some specs for our project: We live in northern Orange County. We have mostly clay soil. The 200 sq. ft. of pathway would be first laid with landscape fabric, 2" of class II roadbase and topped with 2-3" of compressed DG. The pathway would support mostly foot traffic, and weekly garbage bins. And... this year's possible El Nino is an added wildcard. The tricky part is that we're trying to install it just months (maybe less) before our first seasonal rains - so if stabilizer is necessary, we'll just suck it up and take that route but do it as quickly as possible before the rains hit. Any advice, tips, or anecdotes would be much appreciated!

Comments (5)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I'm hoping for El Nino...but many have already backtracked on the likelihood of the arrival of those rains this winter.

As for the stabilizer, I'd say yes. I don't have a DG pathway, but my husband has installed them at projects and there is a botanical garden in my area that has them installed. He was pretty emphatic that the stabilizer was important. You can really tell the paths at the gardens included a stabilizing product, because the erosion was minimal even on gradual slopes. Unstablized DG paths will experience erosion, especially if there is any type of slope involved. If you decide to not pay for the stabilizer, you will probably be paying in the future for repairs in its stead.

• hannah82
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice Gyr Falcon!

Don't get me wrong - I desperately want rain as much as the rest of California. I was merely adding that El Nino could complicate issues with the DG install. I'm totally rooting for it regardless of this project - and my newly planted natives need the moisture to get off to a good start. I was digging and pulling out all the Bermuda grass/rhizomes out of the yard for the planting and the soil was literally BONE dry. It was very, very, sad and yet another reminder of the toll this drought is taking on plants, wildlife, and people. After all, the drought is the major reason behind our deciding to yank out the lawn and plant with natives.

Anyway, back to topic....Hmm, I guess then stabilizer is the way to go. I've been reading good things about the pre-stabilized DG but they are hard to find in my area - and paying $155 for shipping a mere 2 cu. yards of DG from out of town is unappealing. If anyone can recommend a relatively close and reliable source of stabilized DG in Northern Orange County, let me know! Thanks guys!

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    9 years ago

I read this article when making the same decision:
    I went the way as suggested later in the Article (method used at Strybing Arboretum) and I am very happy so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to DG paths info

• hannah82
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi chadinlg, that link was extremely helpful. Sounds like I'll be opting for stabilizer after all! How many inches did you end up excavating for your pathway? If you followed the Strybing Arboretum method, that would've required about 8-9". I have 4", but at the moment my back is really reluctant to handle any more digging, haha.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    9 years ago

I'm not crazy either - but did it myself..........
    Paths are 6'' of base rock with up to 1" of DG; 24" wide with a border of inverted brick "soldiers".
    I compacted with a hand tamper. After a summer the paths are still very hard with only a small amount of loose DG on the surface, so I can rake leaves/bark mulch off or use a leaf blower. Where they get wet from irrigation I can leave foot prints while they are still damp, but just barely. It does track on your shoes so it is not a nice surface to have near entry to your house.
    So far nothing is growing in it (#1 reason for change from bark) and the gophers have not tunneled in it either.