Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree planting in Mountain Center,

Posted by toffee-el Z9 Sunset Z13 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 23:55

Anyone familiar with Mountain Center (elevation 4,518ft)? It's about half way between Palm Springs (elevation 440ft) and Idyllwild (elevation 5345ft). Somehow Idyllwild is really Woodsy, in the middle of a forest, but mountain center is a lot less woodsy, less trees. It's because of climate? or less water?

If someone owns acreage in Mountain Center, is it possible to 'artificially' introduce bunch of trees? What would be the best trees to grow there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree planting in Mountain Center,

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 20:07

Most likely you get less snow and rain because you are on the rain shadow side of the mountains, and precipitation falls off as one drops in elevation descending to the desert below. You can grow trees there, but will probably do best with those that naturally grow there or planted species that do well with less water. You can't expect the same trees of Idyllwild to do as well for you unless you give them irrigation in summer.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 12:59

Well, you may have already checked this, but...Idyllwild is USDA Zone 8a, Mountain Center is USDA Zone 8b...both being Sunset Zone 7. I've not paid that much attention, but when going through Mountain Center area on our way to Idyllwild from Fallbrook, seems that it's the same evergreens as Idyllwild, but the growth is more sparse. You can possibly get more info from the 'Idyllwild Garden Club' website also. I'd post you a link.....but don't know how to do that on this website....

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 15:28

Consider tree selection carefully if your area is prone to wild fires. wc, use the "optional link url" to paste a link

Here is a link that might be useful: idyllwild garden club

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 16:00

Thanks...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here