Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinjmireles

Looking for San Diego gardener to trim not hack garden

kevinjmireles
12 years ago

I'm looking for a gardener that actually knows about plants and how to trim different ones - as opposed to hacking everything in a round ball one or two-feet from the ground. Our backyard in San Diego has a lot of beautiful vines on the deck arbor and fences - and they need to be trimmed but we're afraid everything will just be badly hacked.

Any recommendations of a gardener who can do more than mow and blow would be greatly appreciated. Someone you can trust to do the right thing even when you're not there.

Thanks!

Kev

Comments (9)

• Laurel Zito
    12 years ago

You can find good people on craigs, but don't go with big established firms. Find someone local and interview them, explain what you want done.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    12 years ago

Where in San Diego do you live?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

One of the best professional pruners I know, would in many home owners view, be considered to "hack away the plants". For most of us we only hire a pruner when the garden is out of control, and bringing it back, looks like it has been "hacked down". Most such pruning needs to be judged by how the plants respond and how much better they look at that time. Al

• bahia
    12 years ago

Al makes a good point; pruning to bring back a garden that has been let go, or overplanted to begin with, may mandate a good hack or even removals. A garden full of fast growing vines will more likely need regular monthly pruning to keep from looking hacked. I well understand the desire to stay away from the "meatball" look, but you'll most likely need to be willing to pay a higher hourly rate for more skilled pruning, which many people aren't willing to pay. I'd suggest you look in your neighborhood to see if there are gardens being maintained in the style you prefer, and ask the owners who the use. It might also be more affordable to have two levels of garden maintenance; a regular monthly maintenance gardening service if you have lawns and sweeping to do, and a quarterly fine pruning service for the more skilled work, and have them also coordinate with the monthly service via direct supervision or written maintenance guidelines for pruning style and frequency. Speaking from experience here, detailed pruning that strives for a "can't tell it was heavily pruned look", will always take more time and cost more money. It may also be a situation where you have a too densely planted garden full of high maintenance type plantings, and a redesign or editing may be called for if you can't afford to pay for the maintenance per the style of pruning you prefer. I'd suggest you be prepared to pay at least $45/hourly for higher end pruning, which adds up quickly if you've got a lot to prune. With my own design clients here in the SF Bay Area, one full day of garden pruning and cleanup can often be a $1000 bill, in addition to their monthly gardener. I have some clients who actually do their own regular maintenance and have my crew come in and prune two or three times a year. Some will always comment that they had no idea I'd be pruning so much,or that it was necessary, but 6 years on the job speaks for itself.

• jenn
    12 years ago

I'm not in the San Diego area, but I have a gardener like that who comes every few months when the whole front yard needs deadheaded/pruning and I have no time to do it. He works for Armstrong Garden Centers and does this work for my neighbor who referred him to me. He knows how to selectively prune/thin, and does not create mushrooms out of our Salvias, LOL!

You might check with your local Armstrong Garden Center to see if they have someone like him on staff.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

You know, bahia, we are lucky to have someone with your knowledge here to speak up and I, for one, appreciate it. You always have excellent, relevant advice and mention what others may not think to mention. Thank you....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

One strategy that may work is to look around your neighborhood for the gardens that look correctly pruned, and ask the homeowners who does their work. Keep in mind people who know what they are doing are more expensive than the meatballers.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

"Meatballers." Heh heh.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    12 years ago

Bahia, do you have people in Vacaville?