Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sudden meyer lemon leaf drop on beautiful tree

Posted by lindsey5809 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 1:29

Hi friends,

I have a potted Meyer lemon that was just beautiful. Bright green leaves, tons of flowers and early stages of fruit.
All of a sudden it lost all of its leaves -- in the span of a week. I can't figure out what happened. We have had some late fall heat waves, and it did sit in a saucer of water not too long after that. I also did my usual citrus fertilizer sticks (which I've been doing for years) all in the past month.
Any ideas? Will these blooms stay or did I lose all the fruit too until the leaves grow back (hopefully they grow back?) Help!
The tree is in a great location, sunny etc. and had been flourishing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sudden meyer lemon leaf drop on beautiful tree

My guess is your trees roots are sitting in water which has denied them the oxygen needed to take up nutrients or water. Your soil may have reached the end of its useful life and will no longer drain. I would repot now into a new free draining mix. Al

o

ok I will do that if the rain stops here! do you think I will lose all the blooms that have started to fruit? what a sensitive tree, I"ve had it for years and it was doing so well. thanks for your help.

o

Yes the bloom will likely fall off which is just as well. When growing in containers, long term, you should plan on replacing the growing mix. How often will depend on the mix you are using. The organic material in the mix will begin breaking down as soon as you start using it. The longest lasting organic in the mix is usually fir bark, but this should be carefully sized to match the other ingredients. For this purpose I prefer to make the gritty mix which will last the longest. What ever mix you use read the list of ingredients and make a note of when the mix will need to be replaced. In California citrus labeled fertilizer is available everywhere and should be used monthly for container citrus. A three foot high tree would benefit from about a tablespoon of most brands of citrus fertilizer. Al

o

Really -- i had no idea potted citrus needed fertilizing so often. This is helpful, I will head to the nursery for some new soil as soon as it stops raining!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here