Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID

Posted by lrb2431 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 1:31

Can anyone help me ID this tree? I am looking for a good front yard tree and see this planted a lot locally. Thanks:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 11:14

Looks like a jacaranda. Do you know what color the flowers are?

o

Well, I have not seen any flowers yet, which I know is not helpful. I would feel pretty silly if it's a Jacaranda since I have one in my front yard:) The leaves on this one look bigger and rounder....

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 11:11

It looks like Thornless Honey Locust Gleditsia triacanthos 'inermis'. I'm having a rough time with the scale, I suppose it could be a Tipu Tree Tipuana tipu, but the yellow highlights tell against that.

Ryan

o

I'm pretty certain it's a Tipuanu tipu, as Ryan stated above.

o

Wonderful, thank you all! I checked out images of the Tipuanu tipu and I am sure that must be it.

o

I note you are a new member, welcome to the GardenWeb. It would be helpful to those wishing to comment on your posts to know your gardening zone. If you edit your name where it now says "none" to indicate your zone or location it would be helpful. Al

o

I love the blossoms of the Jacaranda! Until they drop all over the driveway.... But they sure are pretty!! That looks like a very nice landscape tree!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here