Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vall3fam

Is pampas grass allelopathic?

vall3fam
15 years ago

On moving here 6 years ago, we inheritated a huge clump of pampas grass about 15' around, which had probably been there for years and years. Five years ago, I had it removed.

Of course, under the clump was many years of duff and organic material that had accumulated over the years. This was not removed. I am curious as to if anyone has had the experience that this material makes the soil sterile or difficult to grow plants where pampas grass has grown? Since it's removal, very few things have sprouted there, including bermuda grass. It doesn't absorb water very well and remains dry and hard all summer.

I haven't planted anything there to see if it would grow or not, but weeds have no problem cropping up everywhere else that they can. I am wanting to use the space this spring for making a bed for asparagus and wonder if it will affect my plantings? I was wanting to incorporate about 50% more mulch/organic material to build up the area before planting the asparagus.

If anyone else has had this experience, I'd like to hear how you've dealt with it.

Elaine

Comments (5)