Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is my zone

Posted by jjjb (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 2:29

Hi all. I just moved from Michigan to Corona Ca 92882. Not familiar with Southern Calif gardening at all. So I have lots of questions.

First of all, anyone know what zone is Corona in? I have looked at the USDA zone map but getting conflicting results.

Secondly, we used to grow pretty annual borders of "vodka red" begonia in the summer. What is the calendar in Corona for growing annuals such as impatiens or wax begonias? When do you plant them? Do they grow as perennials here or do we need to pull them in winter like we did in MIchigan?

Thats all for now. I can only tackle one thing at a time right now. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is my zone

• Posted by jjjb 9b I think (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 4:34

Actually I found out USDA zone is 9b but I was told to refer to Sunset zone. Any idea what sunset zone is for 9282 zip?

o

Sorry. Zip should be 92882.

o

Sorry. Zip should be 92882.

o

Tricky question! I'm in the midst of a move and my Sunset Western Garden Book is packed away and their on-line version stinks. I'd say you are an 18 or 19. Their maps are hard to read even in paper form and this one only shows Riverside.

Here is a link that might be useful: SWGB map

o

Since you are new to the area, you might get some good information from your local Master Gardeners. It's free and they have a hotline in addition to their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverside Master Gardeners

o

• Posted by jjjb USDA 9b CA; ss 18-19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 19:36

Thank You jxbrown and lgteacher.
Those sunset web maps are no help indeed. I don't even see Corona in any of those. Glad to know others feel same way about them. I was kinda guessing 18-21 so 18-19 about sounds right.

I will call the master gardener hotline as well just to make sure.

o

You are zone 18, forget the usda zone. Could be borderline 19 depending on specifically where you are at.
Definately pick up a Western Garden Book and Pat Welsh's Southern Ca Gardening book also.
Plant your impatiens and begonias now. They will suffer early summer from the inland heat unless well watered in a shady cool spot. By then you will find other summer annuals and want them in anyway. Pansies do great in winter here also. They won't handle the summer inland heat.
Take the time to learn your garden area before wasting energy and $. You might have some bulbs you can't see right now.

o

Welcome to Southern California gardening!

Renee

o

• Posted by jjjb 9b/18-19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 12:28

Thanks for the welcome and quick responses. Great info and tips. Am off to the nursery to get my vodka red begonias. Hopefully they still have them.

Also, any tips on what bulbs to choose would be greatly helpful. I normally grow tulips but not sure how they would do here.

I am on the westernmost edge of what is called South Corona in the Mountain Gate community in a little alcove/recess at the foot of the Santa Ana mountains. Not sure if being in the alcove would cause any significant temperature changes ..... whether the heat would be trapped and retained.

But we do get strong breezes almost every evening and last week I believe the difference in afternoon highs and nighttime lows was 40 degrees! I am just getting to understand the concept of the microclimates so not really sure what I am talking about.

This might be a stupid question but I will ask anyway. Would there be much difference in growing patterns between a sunset 18 and 19?

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 12:57

18 are the Southern California inland valley bottoms while 19 are the adjacent slopes. The biggest difference between them is cold air drainage on winter nights. High temperatures are influenced by a whole host of other considerations such as total canopy area of the urban/suburban forest, position of the slope in relation to the sun and presence and strength of winds.

Ryan

o

Tulips won't flower in Corona because it doesn't get cold enough in the winter. There's a guy in Santa Ana (Orange County)who grows them in his yard, but he stores them in the refrigerator during the winter and then plants them later. His yard has been featured in the newspaper. Sporaxis and Freesias will do just fine.
There won't be big differences between zone 18 and 19. You also have microclimate zones around your house - places that receive more sun, shade, are shielded from the wind, or under the eaves where they are in a rain shadow.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

I agree on the Freesias. I have them in several places.
Daffs should do good also. My nursery has numerous other bulbs also and they admit if you ask they won't do well here. I like the little grape hyacinths but they won't flower much. They also sell tulips because people ask for them. Too much work to get them to flower so I don't bother.

o

• Posted by jjjb 9b/18-19 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 16:49

Great info. Thanks all.

Yes, freesias would be lovely indeed. Never had opportunity to grow them but I have bought them from florists several times. Very fragrant.

Sparaxis I have no clue about. I did google them after reading about them. Sp pretty. Would love those too.

Are the freesias and sparaxis planted just like tulips, i.e. in clusters of 5-10 spaced apart? or are they planted in rows to make a bed? Any other planting tips will be helpful as well.

o

The package of freesias should tell you how deep and how far apart. I place mine about 4-5 inches or so apart. They multiply very easily.
Mass plantings IMO much prettier than a row.
If you get the freesias in right away they will sprout now and have green all winter then the flowers in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here