Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epiphyte78

Mounting Orchids Outdoors in Southern California

epiphyte78
16 years ago

Growing orchids epiphytically in Southern California is a challenging yet potentially rewarding endeavor. One of the biggest challenges is selecting the right orchid.

The Southern California Horticultural Society publishes an excellent booklet (Outdoor Growing Orchids for the Greater Los Angeles Area) that lists over 250 orchids that can be grown in our area without requiring a greenhouse. Where can you find these orchids? Trader Joes offers orchids at surprisingly low prices (when compared to local nurseries)... some of which are more or less hardy (Odontoglossums and Oncidiums). By far the best place for hardy epiphytic orchids is the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate.

Some of my personal favorites are Laelia anceps, Laelia albida and Schomburgkia superbiens

Other challenges to mounting orchids epiphytically include...

Insufficient Moisture - Our desert climate has low humidity with infrequent rain fall

Light - Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight will burn leaves. Insufficient light will discourage growth and flowering.

Low Temperatures - Freezing temperatures will kill most epiphytic orchids

Pests - Slugs, snails, rats, mice and squirrels will be more than happy to supplement their diet with your orchids.

Mounting the orchid - If the orchid is not securely fastened to the branch any movement can potentially damage new roots.

Possible solutions...

Insufficient Moisture - Highly textured bark provides more surface area and is better at retaining moisture. Adding Sphagnum moss also helps to retain moisture. Frequent watering/misting will also help... daily during the hottest days of summer down to twice a week during winter.

Light - Most hardy epiphytic orchids can handle a few hours of direct sun during the early morning and late evening hours but the rest of the time they prefer filtered/indirect bright light. Shade cloth is helpful in providing overhead protection for your orchids.

Low Temperatures - Check weather forecast for freezing temperatures and cover orchids with cloth if necessary.

Pests - Using wires to suspend a branch will help prevent pests from gaining access to the orchids.

Mounting the orchid - There are numerous ways to securely fasten an orchid to a mount. The technique I've found most effective is ordinary string with a bowline on one end which allows tightening the string around the orchid and branch without losing tension.

As you can see... the challenges are not insignificant. But the greater the challenges the greater the rewards. If you live in the Los Angeles area I offer free on-site consultation and instruction on mounting hardy epiphytic orchids (323-382-2914). Also, if anybody has any success stories I'd love to hear them so please post them in this thread.

Cheers,

Carlos

Comments (15)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Epidendrons grow like weeds.Dendrobiums do fine-at least the H.D kind do,outside.Masdavillas are great for condo or apartment dwellers.
    I use copper bonsai wire of thinnest gauge.Alot easier than stiff nylon.The moss hides it just as good as plastic. Same for Tillandsia's.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

I have a great enthusiasm now for mounted orchids, having seen them at the Orchid Show at the Huntington a couple weeks ago.

I just got a Laelia gouldiana from Andy's. I really like the idea of an orchid on a stick instead of in a pot. Plastic pots are not attractive! I just dunk the orchid, stick and all, in the lily pond to water it, and hang it back up.

{{gwi:562359}}

Do Epidendrums work? I was going to try my Dendrobium as well. Do you use a piece of sheet moss for added moisture? Or any kind of peat?

If we get a cold night, I will just bring them in and hang them up inside. Easier than moving pots.

• User
    16 years ago

I treat them like my Tillandsias; using Liquid Nails and/or (as Stanofh sez) the thin-gauge wire to attach them to pieces of the Cork Oak. Use pin hooks (for shower curtains) on the back of the cork for easy hanging.

• epiphyte78
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In response to hoovb... if you have a reed-stem Epidendrum I would recommend experimenting by trying to mount one of its keikis. It's easier to mount smaller plants than larger plants... especially top heavy plants such as Epidendrums or Dendrobiums.

Regarding using the peat moss... it shouldn't be the fine potting soil type peat...it should be the coarse type that's clumped together as seen in . I add the moss by grabbing a large handful, squishing it together and flattening it out. Then I place it between the orchid and the branch.

The Santa Barbara Orchid Estate generally does not mount their orchids with moss because they feel it could encourage rot. As you can see from the orchid you purchased from Andy's Orchids, they use moss.

From my personal experience, it's fairly difficult to keep orchids mounted outdoors moist enough to have to worry about rot. Although on one occasion I did manage to. It was because I had recently divided the orchid and covered the fresh wound in moss.

• tomas
    16 years ago

I grow my orchids not in California but in Rome, Italy, but the problems are the same, hot and dry summer, cold winter.
    I spray my mounted plants once a day in summer, but the slab will be dry in less than hour. To keep the roots moist for a longer period, I tried to mount on a piece of tuf (this is the most common and economic material here) with small hollow drilled in the center that I fill with water. The water will filter and keep the mount humid for a longer period. The orchids seem to like it, I can keep in this way also the Sophronitis coccinea, an orchid not recomended for our climate.
    Here is one of my oncidiums

{{gwi:481766}}
    Tomas

• epiphyte78
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for sharing that information. I've never heard of that type of material before so I did a search for it. I'm guessing that you're talking about...

Tuff (from the Italian "tufo") is a type of rock consisting of consolidated volcanic ash ejected from vents during a volcanic eruption. Wikipedia

That's a quite innovative slow release water distribution system.

• tomas
    16 years ago

Yes, tuff, that's it, I am sorry about the mistake.

I think many other porous materials will work well too

Tomas

16 years ago

Tomas brought another neat method. Mounting the epiphyte on pourous rock like Lava or old course Limestone- base rock sold for sea aquariums is excellent. You could also floatg a rock with plants in a shallow ceramic tray that "wicks" the water up as the plant needs. Maidenhair ferns thrive this way for one.No soil needed-best with none. A spritzing with water every now and then helps.

• catkim
    16 years ago

I drove up to SB Orchid Estate for their sale last weekend and picked up a few goodies. Epiphyte, sounds like you like the same orchids I do. My collection is small and new, but just doubled in size over the weekend!

My vanda:
    {{gwi:562361}}

Sobralia macrantha:
    {{gwi:562363}}

I'm looking forward to mounting some of my new plants on rock and cork oak bark, definitely agree with HoovB about plastic pots!!

I took a few photos at the SBOE sale, nothing great, but if any of you are interested you may view them at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Barbara Orchid Estate sale

• sputnikfarm
    16 years ago

This is really good stuff! I love epi's but never see any at the local nurseries.I only have an epidendrum radicans I bought on Ebay last spring, but I have some great nooks and crannies to put epidendrums. There is an orchid nursery near me in Long Beach, or Los Alamitos, alongside the 605 FWY. Does anybody know of any other sources in So Cal. Maybe Rainforest Flora? I was looking for Tillandsia when I went there and should have kept my eyes more open.

• tomas
    16 years ago

Another trial for me is this Vanda coerulea with its roots growing in the Spanish moss to get more humidity around the roots. The vanda seems to like it as the leaves are always turgid

{{gwi:562365}}

Kim, is your vanda hybrid suitable for outdoor growing? What is its name? And do you have another vandas outdoors?

Tomas

• catkim
    16 years ago

Ciao Tomas! My only vanda is Robert's Delight 'Pachara Pink'. I leave it outdoors except for nights when freezing temperatures are predicted, which is very rare, but did occur last January several nights running. So I brought it in at night for about a week, and hung it outside under a patio roof during the day. This plant has been my experiment to see if a vanda would survive here, and it has rebloomed for me twice, so I consider it a success, and will add more vanda to my collection. I like the coerulea and know it will do fine here. Great idea you have, with the spanish moss!
    Another pic:
    {{gwi:562368}}

• epiphyte78
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos catkim. Santa Barbara Orchid Estate is a dangerous place for financially challenged orchid lovers.

Regarding the Vandas... one of the people there mentioned that the blue vandas are the most cold weather tolerant vandas. Yet, I don't see any in their outdoor orchid growing list.

Tomas, that's a great idea using the Spanish Moss to help provide additional moisture. I was thinking of trying a similar idea of growing Polypodium polypodioides amongst and around orchids mounted on trees.

• tomas
    16 years ago

Somewhere I have learned that Vanda Manuvadee can take temperatures down to near freezing.
    Most of the large flowered vandas have V. coerulea and V. sanderiana as parents, the first being cold hardy, the second not at all. It depends on how much progeny of each has the hybrid. In any case, I think vandas will not tolerate frost.

As far as the outdoor growing list concerns, I think it is a bit too optimistic, for them the reed stem epidendrum should take temperatures of 30F, I lose them nearly every winter with temps above 32F.

Tomas

16 years ago

What gets me is so many experts say many of those orchids dont grow in the bay area..and i wasted time believing them until i put them outdoors and they did fine. Stanhopea is one and a beautiful Dendrobium is another, that has lime green glossy and highly segmented plump stems-it looks exotic out of bloom is another thing i like about it.In 2006 it bloomed twice in one year outdoors. Right now a Masdavallia is in bloom,a red-orange type.Laelia's lived years. A Oncidium that is a little on the rare side with a bloom that looks like a wasp to me but is called a butterfly orchid(the name i have someplace!) so far is growing slowly but truly on a piece of tree fern trunk. An Angrecum spends most of the year outdoors-i did bring it in last year in January-back out in late February. The "DARWIN" Orchid. So ,bay areans use that list posted by the SB society as a good guide-those orchids will do far better on your porch or covered patio then indoors. Especially when they are finished blooming and you dont know where to put them in the house.