Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrot wood tree roots sprounting

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 11:13

About 4 years ago we had our mature carrot wood tree removed. Yesterday, we noticed tiny sprouts in the area where it grew, so we dug down and traced the sprouts to a huge root about 6 inches in diameter.

A large section of the root is now exposed but there is more we cannot see. Other than digging up the whole area to find and remove every root, is there anything we can do to this one to force all of them to die? Growing nearby, there's a new dwarf Navel orange and a handful of other plants I'd rather not have to move unless absolutely necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrot wood tree roots sprounting

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 17:16

Round up.

o

Yep, whack the sprout and paint the fresh cut with Roundup. Do not, however, expect Roundup to have any effect on #%?!&@ bamboo.

o

I'd hit the sprouts with round-up. It works through photosynthesis, as I understand it, so it's better to hit the foliage than the stump.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 11:06

Round-up and that's it? I know Round-up will kill the sprouts, but will it also kill the big root (eventually) so that no more sprouts emerge? The big root is still exposed and I've read about drilling large holes in roots to induce or speed up the decay process.

The sprouts are as skinny as toothpicks but there were about a dozen of them in a few different places.

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 15:52

Jenn, glyphosate is a systemic herbicide - it translocates to the apical meristems (growing points) of both roots and shoots and kills them, eventually resulting in the death of the plant.

Ryan

o

Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 17:49

"RoundUp (glyphosate) inhibits a key enzyme that plants and bacteria use to make amino acids called EPSP synthase. Structurally, glyphosate resembles the chemical structure of the amino acid glycine. Because of its structural similarity to glycine, glyphosate binds the active site of the EPSP synthase enzyme that is critical for the production of aromatic amino acids.

Without a functional EPSP synthase enzyme, the plant can no longer make the amino acids phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan or any other compounds that use this pathway. Since plants must synthesize all of the amino acids that they need for protein production, inhibition of EPSP synthase by glyphosate causes the plant cells to starve for amino acids. All plants and bacteria use EPSP synthase to make aromatic amino acids, so all plants and bacteria are sensitive to RoundUp. [Image of EPSP Synthase]

Glyphosate is quickly absorbed by leaves and shoots of plants. Once absorbed into the leaves, glyphosate cannot be broken down. The glyphosate moves quickly through the plant and accumulates in areas of active growth called meristems. Spraying a plant with RoundUp results in a lack of protein synthesis in that plant. Without amino acids, Plants stop growing. Within a week or so, many plant tissues and parts slowly degrade due to lack of proteins. Death of the weed ultimately results from lack of nutrients and dehydration a week or so later.

Roundup does not affect mammals, birds, fish, and insects because these organisms do not have the enzyme EPSP synthase. However, a recent study has found an increased risk for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoms (NHL), a type of leukemia, in agricultural workers exposed to large quantities of RoundUp."

--from Indiana university web site, make of it what you will

Here is a link that might be useful: source of quote

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 18:38

Roundup is less than worthless on weedy bulbs such as Oxalis pes-capre and that weedy Northoscordum odorum. So it apparently doesn't prevent certain plants from continuing to grow.

o

Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 14:48

Looking around the UC Davis site, it appears one recommended technique is to make cuts in an exposed root with a machete-type device and pour straight round up immediately into the wounds. Something you might try...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here