Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Dahlias be grown in the Desert?

Posted by desertdance 9 - 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 12:36

I love dalhias. I had many in Orange County, but when I moved here, the planting is limited. Pretty much to citrus and olives!! A few roses will survive. Any suggestions for growing Dahlias in the Desert would be appreciated. Gorgeous flowers!!

Even my ginger lily that I snaked home from Hawaii has survived. It blooms in the shade in Nov. Thanksgiving!!

I want Dahlias!! Can I do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Dahlias be grown in the Desert?

I see no reason why you can't grow dahlias. They will need summer water, but no more than your ginger lilies. Al

o

I have an awful time with dahlias here near the coast, Long Beach, Zone 10. Seems I either choose a spot with too much sun or not enough, so I've been growing them in containers to better dial in sunlight requirements, with some success, but still not a lot of blooms. Since many of the commercial growers are in the Pacific Northwest with high humidity/rainfall and less intense sunlight, I've tended to keep my dahlias out of all-day full sun. So maybe try pots until you sort out the sunlight requirements is what I'm suggesting. A nurseryman did tell me that the Mystic series is the best he's seen for ease of growth and prolific bloom, mildew resistance, so I'm adding those for next year.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 11:39

I'd suggest you try dwarf bedding type dahlias instead of full size dahlias or those with massive double petals. the reason being that deserts tend to get high winds which will trash the foliage and flowers of the double petal hybrids. Dwarf bedding types stay low to the ground, do not need staking, and will probably use a bit less water because they won't lose as much water to evapotranspiration. They will need prefer full sun and regular water, so are not at all drought tolerant, and also like rich soil and deep mulching.

o

Thanks for all the advice!! I am going to order some 4' dahlias with 6" blooms and am going to put them near my boganvillas (which are trellised) on an east facing wall. The wall should protect them. And I can tie them to the boganvillas for support. I love the big ones that you can cut and bring in!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here