Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Need a plant for morning shade, afternoon sun

jenn
18 years ago

We have a small spot on the west side of our patio that gets shade until the afternoon (2-3 PM) when it gets blasted by hot sun until the sun sets (in summer). I planted a Heuchera there last spring and it is almost totally fried (I'll be moving it to the shade this fall).

I'd like to plant something there that can take shade OR sun, is about 3-5 feet tall and about 3 feet wide. This spot is on the edge of a patio next to a glider so I don't want something too perfumey or full of bees. It can bloom or not bloom.

One plant I'm considering is Dracaena. Our house is Spanish style and we need a few more plants that suit that style, though this plant doesn't necessarily have to do that. It just needs to like shade all morning and then hot sun in the afernoon.

Thanks!

Jen

Comments (11)

• catkim
    18 years ago

There are many varieties of phormium/New Zealand flax that would fit the bill. I have some phormium 'Wings of Gold' planted in a similar situation, and it's very happy. Gets just to 3 ft. Another nice one is 'Yellow Wave' which is somewhat less spiky than 'Wings of Gold', has a more relaxed habit, but is about the right size. Another idea might be cordyline terminalis 'Red Flash'.

The nice thing about these plants is they are very predictable as to size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordyline terminalis 'Red Flash'

• jenn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, I would never have considered phormium. I fear there won't be enough sun there in winter though.... the sun only hits that spot in summer. That's what makes this spot tricky, I think. The plant has to like both sun and shade, with the sun being the hottest summer afternoon sun, and shade lasting all winter (no sun until summer).

The Condyline is nice too.

Thanks!
    Jen

• lyael
    18 years ago

I'd love so see the suggestions anyone has for this problem, too. Doesn't everyone have this spot somewhere in their yard? I have a ~5 foot wide planting bed next to the west side of my house, and am grappling with the same problem. Mine does get winter sun. It gets the burning afternoon sun (only, with full shade all morning) all year round (though, of course, the sun's gentler in winter). It seems like every plant I read about that takes "full sun to partial shade" really means "lots of lovely morning to mid-day sun with some shade protection from precisely the nasty afternoon blaze" we're trying to deal with.

I love the "yellow wave" phormium, and I'm in San Diego, too, but inland more, and I thought the lighter leaved phormiums need protection from hot afternoon sun? I'd love to be wrong about that! Help!

Laura

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    18 years ago

The morning shade/afternoon sun deal is as large part of my front yard since we live on a corner with a north-west exposure. The plants I grow that could fit the bill: Southern Indica azalea (3'x3' with pruning), gardenia "veitchii", pelargonium, dwarf escallonia, Abelia grandiflora "bumblebee", daylily (only 3' tall when blooming), Zantedeschia aethiopica, rosemary, agapanthus (I grow 'Peter Pan' but the larger sizes would fit the bill) and Penstemon gloxinoides...I wish I could have suggested a more exotic list but I'm relatively new to gardening.

I basically consider the morning shade/afternoon sun exposure to be full sun. Not all full sun plants do well there, however, so unfortunately there is a lot of trial and error.

• catkim
    18 years ago

Laura, Miramar Nursery specializes in phormiums and grows all their varieties in pots in an open field east of I-805. I don't think you can get much more full blazing sun than that.

I don't have a good answer for the 'winter shade/summer sun' problem. Maybe agapanthus, they are fairly versatile.

• SusanC
    18 years ago

Dietes iridioides, 'Fortnight lily', would probably do well in that situation. -It has naturalized in partial shade in our garden, and I see it planted everywhere in full sun. Be warned, though: it is quite the enthusiastic self-sower. (Although, the seedlings are shallowly rooted and easy to pull out.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fortnight lily

• BecR
    18 years ago

I second fortnight lily, as well as heavenly bamboo (nandina domestica).

Becky

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

Juniper can take most everything - once established. Slow growing though. Comes in many different sizes.

Also natal plum grows near the beach areas in full afternoon sun. A bit stickery, however.

Bejay

• berndoodle
    18 years ago

Correa 'Dusky Bells' can handle the job. I have the same exposure: west facing, in total shade until the sun gets to the west. It's just fine there (and on the north side in full shade). It will never get 5 feet tall, maybe 2 1/2 - 3' tall and wide.

• arvind
    18 years ago

If you want a well-behaved, handsome bush with red berries turning to chocolate (the color), try California coffeeberry (Rhamnus californica). Does well in sun as well as shade. Water tolerant and drought tolerant. All-round worthy shrub. Many selections available in the trade. I have Mound San Bruno, and a local variety.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals