Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amazing succession success Z8/9?

Posted by rustico_2009 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 12:44

Hi all, Is it wishful thinking? Is anyone having good success with Fall/winter planting and subsequent harvesting of brassicas, root crops, greens, peas & favas etc.

Minus the succession bit, I have gotten some nice results in previous Fall/Winter gardens but I want to get a much more continuous stream of production.

So far I have mostly blown it with this years earlier plantings due to insufficient rodent and bird control. I have a handle on that now, can I(should I) keep planting the above mentioned crops and raising seedlings for transplants through Dec. and Jan. or just try to get rolling next year?

I have plenty of bird netting, agribon19, agribon30, plastic and hoops if these will help get the job done. I can do transplant starting with heated cold frames.

Sunset Western says we can keep planting a lot of the same food crops in succession, but I know there is more to it than that. Any better literature on the topic?

Thanks,
Russell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amazing succession success Z8/9?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 12:22

My experience is that the more full sun exposure and your ability to raise ambient temperatures at ground level make a huge difference on getting good growth of these sorts of crops, even in my much balmier zone 9b/10a climate. Top growth seems to just stall for most this time of year if you can't warm things up during the day.

o

Thanks, Bahia, Cabbages and broccoli that are were pretty strong plants before it cooled off are doing well.Next year I will try to do better earlier, with varieties of different maturity dates for each crop. I am getting my low tunnels together but I still think things will be slow.

o

Succession planting in the same bed mainly involves being practical about how much soil nutrition and fertility you are losing with each planting, then replacing it. I remove all the roots and organic debris, then add lots of finished compost and compost tea before germinating a new crop. I use seaweed emulsion for micronutrients and then read my plants' growth to see any signs that I've miscalculated.

If you suspect you are carrying generations of diseases from crop to crop, that's a bigger discussion.

o

Those are really good tips, dicot.By succession planting, I was more referring to planting the same crop in vacant beds every so many days through the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here