Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

Gray water for plants

tim45z10
9 years ago

I would like to use my washer water for watering. I would ideally like something that will grow 6-7 feet and produce something edible.
I am about a mile from the coast in San Diego. Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you. Tim

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wouldnt the first issue be?? ....

what product do you use to wash with ...??? .. do you use liquid softener??? etc ...

a great place to start ... would be to have a sample tested ...

and if its found to be inert ... then the sky is the limit.. as to the plant ...

perhaps it would be a good place to start.. is for you to list what you might like to eat ...

also understand.. that most plants... do not stop at some mystical height ... and pruning is how you keep it within the bounds you wish ...

there is a very active fruit forum ... as well as a tropical fruit forum ...

good luck ...

ken

ps: dont forget the dishwasher water also ...

• nil13
    9 years ago

What is your soil like? Constantly wet clay is quite different from constantly wet sand.

You'll want to switch to Eccos detergent.

Also remember that you can divert back to sewer if the plant is getting too much water.

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The soil is clay. We use Kirkland enviro responsible soap. We also use bleach. I can amend the soil to what I is necessary.
    Thank you for help.
    Tim

• renais1
    9 years ago

We have diverted all the water from our house except the toilets and kitchen sink (our only two black water sources) since 1992. We do not do anything special with our soaps and other products that go down the drain except that we do not use borax in the wash. I've found that a variety of plants grow well in the area watered by this discharge. What has happened in the 21 years we've done this is that the native clay in the discharge area has been transformed into a very organic rich soil, with lots of worms, and excellent drainage. The original soil was pretty impermiable clay. The only addition I made to the soil was about 5 pounds of gypsum when we first started to help with clay permiability. The gypsum is recommended by the university ag folks to deal with our dense, and organically poor clay drainage, and it works well in other parts of our garden for this purpose. Over the years, we have had a variety of native plants grow and thrive. Right now, the big benefactor is a large tree that is surrounded by lush low growth. Note that we live in a semi-desert environment, so the growth is very atypical of the area. We currently don't do anything to deal with the water discharge except about once a year when I clear the area right around the discharge pipe so that plants don't grow in and clog it. In my experience, not even harsh toilet cleaners or strong soaps have had any adverse effects on the plants, including some that are sometimes noted as being somewhat sensitive to such things, such as junipers. As for something that might be edible: have you considered a dwarf fruit tree?
    Renais

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Once upon a time I had a huge vegetable garden that got watered all summer from the discharge into the sump from the clothes washer. I used Shaklee Products at that time. I had the biggest, most beautiful, bountiful garden in a neighborhood with a garden in every yard.

Smaller-sized fruit and citrus trees would grow that size you're wanting.

• nil13
    9 years ago

While it is nice to hear that Renais1 has not had problems with detergents, I would still try to avoid unnecessary sodium. I divert bleach to sewage and I go for potassium based soaps and detergents. Potassium is fertilizer after all.

I have a guava on greywater in LA and it is very happy. But then I'm on almost all sand.