Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyael_gw

Pruning a young jacaranda

lyael
18 years ago

OK. I'm in San Diego, and last year at the new downtown ballpark, I saw and fell in love with a multi-trunked jacaranda (uplit at night--gorgeous). I liked it so much more than the single trunk trees all around me (also very pretty, but not what I want).

I just came home from the nursery with a 15" can containing, basically, 3 trees, each of which has then split into two (total=6;)) It's lush and pretty, but each of those 6 "trunks is pretty much growing straight up. I'd like it to branch out, and was wondering about pruning it now to encourage branching.

So...I start reading, and find (in regard to jacarandas, specifically):

1. "You should always cut off multiple trunks and have one strong central leader" Does this really mean you can't have a strong, healthy, multi-trunked jacaranda?

2. "Except for getting rid of multiple trunks, you shouldn't prune Jacarandas." Apparently, it causes lots of suckering. I'm wondering if maybe this is just referring to mature wood? (and it would be OK to prune back the soft green growth it has now? If so...how do I do it?)

Help! Can anyone tell me how to have the lovely, multi-trunked, spreading-branched tree I long for, or is that just a pipe dream?

Thanks so much for your time and help. I didn't mean to be so wordy;)

Laura

Comments (4)