Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a young jacaranda

Posted by lyael z10 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 05 at 13:21

OK. I'm in San Diego, and last year at the new downtown ballpark, I saw and fell in love with a multi-trunked jacaranda (uplit at night--gorgeous). I liked it so much more than the single trunk trees all around me (also very pretty, but not what I want).

I just came home from the nursery with a 15" can containing, basically, 3 trees, each of which has then split into two (total=6;)) It's lush and pretty, but each of those 6 "trunks is pretty much growing straight up. I'd like it to branch out, and was wondering about pruning it now to encourage branching.

So...I start reading, and find (in regard to jacarandas, specifically):

1. "You should always cut off multiple trunks and have one strong central leader" Does this really mean you can't have a strong, healthy, multi-trunked jacaranda?

2. "Except for getting rid of multiple trunks, you shouldn't prune Jacarandas." Apparently, it causes lots of suckering. I'm wondering if maybe this is just referring to mature wood? (and it would be OK to prune back the soft green growth it has now? If so...how do I do it?)

Help! Can anyone tell me how to have the lovely, multi-trunked, spreading-branched tree I long for, or is that just a pipe dream?

Thanks so much for your time and help. I didn't mean to be so wordy;)

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a young jacaranda

Laura:

Jacarandas naturally grow as large shrubs and become trees only with training (removing all lateral branching) or with extreme age.

And a good rule of thumb when planting ANY tree is to NOT prune the first year (and maybe mininmally, if at all, the second year). Let the tree establish itself. Leave the photosynthetic material (leaves) on the tree above ground so that they can make food for the tree below ground (roots).

Once established (1-2 years), prune only for minimal aesthetic purposes.

Of course, you'll always prune off broken, dead, or dying branches as well as, eventually, crossing branches or anything that reaches beyond where you want it to reach. And if you live in a slightly windy area, also prune the tree to be more open to allow wind to blow through.

Joe

o

Mine died back a bit last year... same as pruning... no suckering what so ever.

o

Hi Laura,

Sorry about the late post....I have also noticed in my area that during the windy season jacaranda trees are especially subject to broken branches. It seems to me that the tree will be stronger with a single trained trunk. That's just my opinion. But the trees certainly are stunning, aren't they?
Janice

o

I planted a three trunk Jacaranda in 1995 from a 15" box. One trunk was weak and was removed a few years later. The tree is about 25 ft. tall and spreads about 20 ft. I have it trimmed and laced every year and it is growing strong and beautiful in Clairemont area of San Diego.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here