Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattbgrays

Drought tolerant plant suggestions?

Matthew Grayson
10 years ago

Hi

I am looking for three low water, tall grower suggestions in three spots in front of my home.

{{gwi:563537}}

I live in North East LA. USDA 10, SS Zone 20.

Spot #1. We're halfway up a decent-sized hill. The house faces East. I want to replace one or two of my 3' tall Jade plants with something that will grow a bit taller to give us privacy (these are between our LR windows and the street). Other plants in the bed include (from left to right) pampas grass, camelia, lavender, jade (four in back), freeway daisy, succulents, purple fountain grass.

When I remove the Jade, I will build a 2' redwood retaining wall so that I can bring up the soil level a bit (and choose my soil type). Can jade be transplanted? I would hate to destroy such a healthy plant.

This location receives sun from dawn til 1pm and occasional winds from the San Gabriel mountains north and east of us. I would love to plant citrus as they are evergreen (privacy) and I can prune to keep my view, but they don't like wind.

Is there anything that fits the bill? I prefer edible, but if not, then I prefer drought-tolerant and pruneable as the whole bed is drought tolerant and I don't want to upset the balance.

Spot #2
I am also looking to plant to the left of my driveway (in the bed with the steel supports). I may do Lemon Verbena at the front corner (#2). That receives nice eastern light (and will get southern light when the plant is tall enough to not be shaded by the neighbor's lavender).

Spot #3
I want something 4-8' tall in the next bed which will give us privacy in our back patio. The bed receives filtered light. Less so in winter. There are some Aeonium there I'd like to keep and a small purple fountain grass that can be moved.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!
Matt

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Ceanothus 'Dark Star' (6'-8')
    Coffeeberry, Rhamnus californica (6'-8')
    Calothamnus villosus (5'-6')
    Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' (6'-8')
    Rhus ovata, Sugarbush (6'-8')
    Garrya veatchii (6'-8')

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

If you want to plant something drought-tolerant, don't change the soil type. Use native soil and mulch heavily with bark chips (oak or pine will work well) to re-establish the mychorrhiza and frankia in the soil. Plants will not be drought-tolerant without these symbiotic bacteria and fungi in the soil. Do not use any soil amendments.

Agreed that coffeeberry (Rhamnus) and California lilac (Ceanothus) would be good choices. I'd suggest Ceanothus 'Julia Phelps' or 'Blue Jeans' for this climate.

Manzanita (Arctostaphylos) is also good for these situations. Cultivars like 'Austin Griffiths' and 'Dr. Hurd' can grow to 12-15' and can be held lower with less water. If you want something a little smaller, A. pungens (Mexican manzanita) should grow to 6-8'.

This post was edited by OregonGrape on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 0:14

• Matthew Grayson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions (and even finding drought-tolerant with edible parts, wow).

My property is on decomposed granite. We tore up the driveway in the back and that's what's below. I have read most of the info from Las Pilitas, so I'm aware of native plant care, irrigation techniques, mychorrhiza, etc.

These beds were planted by a previous owner. The soil is much darker and loamier than DG. Everything in that front bed is thriving on almost no added water (about once a month spring-summer), so I wouldn't touch it.

If I bring up the soil level at #1, what would you suggest I use for soil? My guess is I'd take a cup of it to a nursery and try to match it.

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

I would try to use native local soil to bring the soil level up. I don't know how one would go about doing that (other than digging up a truckload somewhere nearby, though there may be legal issues with that). I'd go ask a good local nursery.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Your jade plant will transplant well, I believe. I have never seen one suffer from transplantation as long as they are given water at first to get re-established. You have a cool house.
    Renee

• doginthegarden
    10 years ago

Nandina is pretty, low-water, and will grow tall enough to screen your windows.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Olives are beautiful and drought tolerant. Plus, you can brine them and eat them!
    Moringa Oleifera is a super food tree. It is drought tolerant and can be pruned as a hedge (we do that), or it will grow very tall. You can use the greens as tea, in salads or as a veggie like spinach. The beans are like green beans or asparagus. If they become dry, they can be ground into flour.
    Figs don't require much water once established.

All the above love full sun!
    suzi

• Matthew Grayson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will call around this weekend and see what's available locally.