Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will morning glories grow now?

Posted by elvie z9CA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 13:39

Hi ya all. I want something to cover a trellis during the winter, I know nasturiums will grow around here all winter, so they are a standby.
But I'd prefer heavenly blue mornig glories, I know they like warm weather but would they grow now I am asking on an off chance? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will morning glories grow now?

In Berkeley Morning Glories will die as soon as the temps dip into the 30's. I think nasturtiums are a little more frost hardy.
Sorry, you better wait until spring!

Carla in Sac

o

thanks Carla, I will wait.

o

The big problem with morning glories is that they will reseed like crazy and take over -everything. Put them on the trellis, and you'll soon find them all over your roof, your neighbor's walls, and sending runners along the ground like kudzu.
If you start edible snow peas and vetch in early October when the nights get cool...just about when the powdery mildew starts in on your squash leaves.... they'll cover the trellis by late January, and you'll be getting fresh peas by late February. They are sort of frost resistant - I've had them fully recover after nighttime temps of 29 and 30.
Some varieties of peas have very lovely flowers, and if you plant vetch amongst it, you'll get a double whammy of pretty purple flowers. Also the legumes will be fixing nitrogen, replenishing your soil!

o

Here is a website with several pea varieties with colored flowers.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Peas

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 21, 10 at 22:31

the neighbor's slope has a bunch of morning glory seedlings sprouting and growing now. I round-up them every year so they don't take over my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here