Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnthelandlord

Please help, sick ficus tree

Hi, I have a potted ficus tree for over 20 years. It had been doing well, and this fall I noticed that there was a lot of yellowing and dying leaves. I touched it and a bunch of white flies flew off. I sprayed it with water several times, and transplanted it in a larger pot. The white flies seem to be gone finally, but now the leaves continue to yellow fall and almost all have a sticky clear substance on the underside. Even the new strong leaves generated from the transplant have them. I don't see any insect at all on or near the leaves. Please help, I don't want it to die after I had it so long.

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Scale insects. Challenging to get rid of them on an indoor tree.

See the link below ...

Here is a link that might be useful: soft scale on ficus

• nil13
    9 years ago

Scale? How are you coming up with scale, jean?

• johnthelandlord (Los Angeles California, Zone 10B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the response. I think it is some kind of scale. I wiped each leaf off today, I tried to take a closer pic, but they are so tiny.

• nil13
    9 years ago

I guess jean's eyes are better than mine.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

When someone says they have an indoor Ficus and the leaves "continue to yellow fall and almost all have a sticky clear substance on the underside" you can count on the pests being soft scale - even if you don't have an image.

Few folks notice these critters. They are very small, they hang out along the mid rib, and they blend into the leaf color.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

....... like Hedera (ivy) and mites.

Al

Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree has not been indoors for over 20 years. It's been outdoors in the pot and gets afternoon sun.

I don't think I want to put chemicals on it, perhaps removing the scale like I did worked?

9 years ago

Mechanical removal of scale can help alleviate the damage caused by the infestation to some degree, but the chances of it remedying the problem are zero.

If you're diligent and apply this weekly for 3-4 weeks, it will work:

1 pint very hot water
    1 pint rubbing alcohol or ethanol
    1 tsp neem oil
    1/4 tsp Castile or Murphy's Oil Soap

In a 1 quart spritzer, mix the neem, hot water, and sope. Shake well, then add the alcohol. Spritz the tree heavily, keeping the mixture agitated as you spray so it stays emulsified. Use all the mixture that day or discard and wash out the container. Use only pure, cold-pressed neem oil, such as that packaged by Dyna-Gro. You can substitute insecticidal soap for the Castile/Murphy's.

Be sure to cover all the plant's surfaces, including undersides of leaves and leaf axils.

Al

9 years ago

Mechanical removal of scale can help alleviate the damage caused by the infestation to some degree, but the chances of it remedying the problem are zero.

If you're diligent and apply this weekly for 3-4 weeks, it will work:

1 pint very hot water
    1 pint rubbing alcohol or ethanol
    1 tsp neem oil
    1/4 tsp Castile or Murphy's Oil Soap

In a 1 quart spritzer, mix the neem, hot water, and sope. Shake well, then add the alcohol. Spritz the tree heavily, keeping the mixture agitated as you spray so it stays emulsified. Use all the mixture that day or discard and wash out the container. Use only pure, cold-pressed neem oil, such as that packaged by Dyna-Gro. You can substitute insecticidal soap for the Castile/Murphy's.

Be sure to cover all the plant's surfaces, including undersides of leaves and leaf axils.

Al

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Just one watering of that systemc will kill off all those pests. Its as easy as that.
    I myself don't see how watering one indoor plant harms the environment. And,no need to spray...mix in a watering can and no chance you - or anybody- can come into contact with it.
    Name your indoor plant sucking insect,and it kills it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I cave in and used the Bayer 3 in 1. It worked! However, I had to use it about once a week for about a month until all bugs were dead. I also transplanted it in a much larger pot with fresh soil to help reduce stress since it was root bound packed. Almost all the damaged leaves have now fallen and the regrowth seems fresh and solid. Ficus tree says thank you!

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Yay! Happy story ending! Thanks for the update.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting