Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnellok

Apricot Tree for So Calif

agnellok
10 years ago

Hi All,
Can some one recommend an apricot tree for So Calif.
I live about 2 miles from the beach and the chill hours for this area is 200-300 hours. Is "GOLD Kist " a good choice.
I live in Costa Mesa ,Ca. I already have an Orange, Avocado, Peach and Fig tree that are doing fine. I originally wanted a Pear tree, but I don't think I get enough Chill Hours.
Thanks
Karen

Comments (5)

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    10 years ago

I'm in frost-free zone 10 near the coast in San Diego. I had a Gold Kist. It was a vigorous, nice-looking tree but only gave me about three apricots in ten years so I had it cut down. I do have a Monterrey pear which bears plenty of fruit.

• agnellok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks SoCal gal,
    I think I'll try the pear tree after all !!!
    Greatly appreciate the feedback
    Karen

• bejay9_10
    10 years ago

The Bartlett pear that I planted developed fire blight here in coastal zone 10. I think it infected other trees nearby - especially an almond tree.

Have had very good success with apricot - Blenheim Royal, with very few problems - nice fruit. One way to deter raccoons and squirrels from swiping ripening fruit is to hang mylar balloons on branches just before fruit is ready to pick. Also attach used computer discs so the sun shines on them, deflecting rays around the orchard - this keeps fruit-eating birds away.

bejay

• Kippy
    10 years ago

We are in Santa Barbara also about 2-3 miles from the beach. I have a Gold Kist, it is about 3 years old and has grown rapidly and was covered in fruit this year.

We have two pears, but even though they are supposed to be resistant to fire blight, guessing the constant humidity causes issues because we do get a lot of fire blight anyway.

• parker25mv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

South of Los Angeles, about 12 miles from the coast. Planted a Blenheim 2½ years ago. This year we had an unusually cold winter and there are now 7 apricots growing on the tree.

I have read a publication from the local nursery stating that, from their experience, the fruit production from Blenheim in this area can be on and off some years. Blenheim is considered a medium-chill apricot. Apparently there are certain parts of O.C. where Blenheim will produce (the bottom of canyons near along the stream bed that funnels cold air in the winter). The main symptom of lack of chill hours seems to be that Blenheim will not produce fruit in all years and/or the fruit yield is greatly diminished. Blenheim was the traditional apricot variety grown in this area though, and there was even some commercial orchard production in going on in the 40's. Local teenagers were hired to help lay the apricots out in the sun to dry.

Of course the new apricot varieties Katy and Gold Kist are much more prolific in terms of fruit production in this area, but Blenheim still produces superior fruit, slightly bigger and tastier.