Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Generous Forum Members

Over a year ago, I posted that I wanted cuttings of Pakastan Mulberry. A few weeks ago I got a message from a member here that he was pruning his tree, and did I still want cuttings?

Absolutely! I felt bad he was gifting them, so I pruned a huge limb from my Violette de Bordeaux Fig tree, and packed up several Moringa Oleifera seeds to gift him in trade! My other figs aren't yet dormant, but we are now buddies, and he'll get new varieties next year!

What a nice guy! Wife is adorable! We drove a couple hours and came back with over 40 cuttings! I have a lot to practice on, and a couple acres in which to do it! The cuttings are in water at the moment while we decide where to put them, but it seems on this site the rule is: "Ask, and thou shalt receive!"

I am very excited about my cuttings. This particular variety has berries that are about 4" long and delicious in my zone 9a!

Suzi

Comments (4)

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

It's nice of you to share this with us. Good luck with your cuttings!
    Renee

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I will be happy to share my cuttings with you! We are in the same zone, Renee!

But Southern California has a ton of micro-zones! I am in the hills overlooking Hemet. County land. Big rocky hillside. You know what I'm talking about. Critters galore!

We plant everything in gopher baskets for establishment, and put a large fence of chicken wire around the trunk to prevent voles.... Plus Jim routinely leaves his mark. Male pee is a huge deterrent! Seriously! it works!

Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Update! I got my cuttings! I got everything he trimmed off his tree! Wow! He told me to sell them on Ebay, but, I only want 2 of them to root and grow, and I do NOT want to be an Ebay seller! Absolutely not!

It's the Pakastan variety of Mulberry and it likes heat! The cuttings are dormant now, and they are in a couple inches of water until we can get the time to put them in gopher baskets. That's a whole other drill... those gopher baskets!

The smallest cuttings went in with some already rooting basil, and I can see after 3 days, tiny roots emerging! Must be that rooting hormone the Basil emits.

We live high on a hill, and at the bottom is where the water goes. I will plant these trees down there and cross my fingers!

The beauty of a Garden Web trading friend is that "same time next year with a handshake and smiles!" I did give him Moringa Oliefera seeds (vegetable tree all edible), and a huge branch of a fig called Violette De Bordeaux which is one of the best tasting figs you can get.

Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

So today we planted 20 cuttings. We put them in a circle around a dripper. The survival of the fittest wins. The others will be sweetly put into the compost pile.

These babies are famous for suckering, and I intend to squell that!

We have two tiny cuttings left, and I'll try those in random places. It's just all fun!