Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can hot chile peppers survive winter?

Posted by kristen_peppers Palo Alto California (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 16:50

I have about 40 hot chile pepper plants in my yard and was wondering if they will survive the winter in Northern California (average low winter temp is 38 degrees)? Is there anything I can do to help them through?

Or do I need to replant again in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can hot chile peppers survive winter?

If you do not suffer from many light frosts (25-30) or if you do not suffer from one or two hard frosts (20-25) or if you do not suffer from continuous wet cold soil, your plants should survive.

Although your average winter low temp is 38, Palo Alto has been hit by temps below 20 in the last several years.

Joe

o

I've had Pepper plants survive thru' the winter, but they didn't seem to produce real well the second year. Now I just remove them when I want to work the garden, then buy new ones next spring.

o

The most cold tolerant I have seen are the thai peppers. I have had them and a few jalapenos fruit in winter in coastal southern california.

o

I have one pepper plant that's going on four years old, getting bigger and bigger every year here in Sacramento.

o

I have small very hot peppers and we call this 'Siling Labuyo' in the Philippines. It has survived 5 winters so far and bears decent crop almost year round, with enough during the winter to tide over. It is planted under the eaves of the roof, in the southwest corner between two walls and under the canopies of my citruses. It can tolerate shady areas which can protect it during the winter. So far the past 5 winters, our lowest was 22 deg F, but our record is 12 deg F. Now with global warming and all, pretty soon we can grow mostly tropicals here, LOL!

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 7, 06 at 15:49

I had a productive Thai pepper that lived for 8 years. -It looked sort of like a Bonsai subject by the end though. Currently, I have 2 Thai pepper plants and 5 or 6 Rocoto pepper plants that are 2+ years old.

o

I have a jalapeo plant that has lasted through a couple of winters in coastal SoCal. I keep peppers in pots, and so I generally replant each year. The serranos I got this year were extremely tiny and very hot - much hotter than the Caribbean (Habanero, I think) peppers that I have. Our average winter low temp is 50, but it usually gets down to about 45 each winter.

Lars

o

Our tomatoes and peppers usually survive but don't flourish as well the second year, so we usually remove them anyway. We are in Walnut Creek, where the average low is about 35 or 37F I believe (although we have a slightly milder microclimate due to a cold-air basin draining frost away from our lot). If they survive here, they'll survive Palo Alto.

I am certain that Palo Alto has not only NOT had temps below 20F in the last 5 years, but probably never had temps that low. Our coldest temp EVER was 20F in the big freeze of 1990 (although official temp in downtown was 17F), but in the past five years, we've been virtually frost free. Palo Alto is milder than us.

Still, don't get too excited about next year's crop.

o

The only truly perennial pepper in the U.S. is the pequin, or bird pepper,(Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum). These grow wild in Texas and are quite ornamental, as well as being one of the hottest peppers known. On the Scoville scale, jalepenos are 2,500 ~ 8,000 units, while bird peppers are 125,000 ~ 325,000 units, so I wouldn't toss one down casually! These are perennial in the Austin area, which us USDA zone 8, I think, so would survive Palo Alto nicely.

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 11, 06 at 12:35

Also, be aware that temperatures affect how 'hot' the peppers will get. Quite literally, the warmer the air temps, the hotter the peppers will be. So even if they survive, the peppers won't be as hot to the taste as if you were growing them in the summer.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 17:51

If you have them next to a concrete driveway or stucco wall--something that absorbs heat during the day and releases it at night--the soil and air temperature around the peppers will be a little warmer, and that will help them survive.

I plant new ones every year. Like others have said, they don't have the same productivity the 2nd year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here