Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquilachrysaetos

I didn't know they did this.

aquilachrysaetos
13 years ago

In my reading up on Plane trees before I picked them for my yard, the listings said fall color is insignificant. My trees didn't get the memo.

The tree is actually oranger than the photo. Very bright and flamelike.

{{gwi:564597}}

Comments (12)

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Funny you should mention this....I was just noticing in the last couple of days that some do have a nice golden color, while others just fade to brown. Lucky you! Mine fade to brown...sigh...

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am wondering if it was because I kept watering them well into Fall as long as I saw new leaves being made. The idea was to get as much growth out of them as possible because I want shade. When they stopped producing leaves, I backed off on the water. I know that's how people get the best color out of Japanese Maples. Maybe it works for Planes.

The tree in the picture is the cultivar, Columbia. My Bloodgood Plane colored beautifully a couple weeks ago and now has dropped most of it's leaves.

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Could be, I know I've read that about trees coloring better with more water..mine have been getting by on minimal water this summer...water bills are far, far too high...lol..
    I see pistache turning colors and mine are still green...go figure. I have one liquidamber that held its leaves all winter last year, it will be interesting to see what it does this winter. I sure do like that tree of yours, though!

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear you about the water bills! I let my lawn go to heck in favor of deep watering the trees. My bill was astronomical this year because I was establishing several Crape Myrtles and some Palms. I kinda went nuts with the trees this year.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Just so those of you on a municipal water supply should not feel "put upon", we in the country with wells with plenty of water available, still pay a premium. All the irrigation water I pump in the summer, costs me electric power at 300% of the base electric rate. This punitive rate is made to discourage those of us who wish to garden and live in a better environment. Al

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for that...you just can't win, huh? We'd thought of putting in a well as the water table down in the back of our property seems to be pretty high and I wondered about the cost of electricity. There was mention made down here about wanting to raise the water rates again by 25% in order to give their employees better pensions.....

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Erk.

They have tiered water rates down here. If I use above a certain amount I pay punitive rates. Even though I don't keep a lawn I do try to keep my hedges flowerbeds and trees healthy on my sharply draining soil.

I'll still water 'em I'll just cut money in other areas.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

It makes me cranky that people with postage-size lots get the same allotment as those of us with large lots.

wcgypsy, where are employee pensions IMPROVING? Do you mean that your water company wants to keep the pensions the same for new hires? Or that they are trying to save up for their unfunded pension liability? Pensions are almost always negotiated upon hire, and do not increase if the cost of living is not increasing, and it went down in CA by .38% this year. I would love to use this example in my negotiations, so I would appreciate it if you sent me a private email with some specifics. Thanks!
    Renee

• wcgypsy
    13 years ago

Renee, would if I could..I just briefly heard it mentioned on the news some months ago while passing through the house. I've not heard another word about it.I'm in San Diego County, so it could have been San Diego Water Authority,one of the districts, or Metropolitan...

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Thanks- I'll see what I can find on Google.
    Renee

• aquilachrysaetos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And the show continues.

{{gwi:564598}}

I am already picturing it doing this when it's a huge tree. It's gonna be beautiful.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

It's really beautiful. You must be really happy with it. It will shade your shed soon enough and keep it cooler in summer.

A tree that yellows up gloriously in this neighborhood is the Ginko. My Cercis yellow up, but then the leaves fall about 10 minutes later. I hate them and want to dig them up.

My J maple still has all its leaves. I don't know what it's doing. Some things are really late this year, some are early. My Camellia japonicas are blooming. Early.