Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Mystery plant in my shrub - can you help id?

This blue evergreen is growing up through my "Sunset Gold" coleonema (lower left of photo).

{{gwi:564769}}

It's very pretty, and I think there are two separate plants. I was thinking of digging them out this winter and transplanting, but I don't know what they are.

Is it some type of juniper? I love the 4-5' tall shrubby juniper, but I thought they were dark green...please help, what could it be?

{{gwi:564771}}

Comments (12)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

try the conifers forum, I think they'd be most helpful.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for that advice. If no one knows, then I'll pot them up and see what happens.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Juniper or maybe cypress, presumably more easily recognized parent tree is visible nearby.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Does look like my blue arizona cypress looked when it was a baby, but conifers are just not my area.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    9 years ago

i don't know if it is a juniper, but I know that junipers can be that color. We had some when I was growing up.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

By all means, pot it up soon. The bigger a conifer seedling gets, the less likely it will survive a transplant. Al

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll stroll around to look for parent trees -- I know I see Italian Cypress a lot, and some sort of conifers that are trimmed into a spiral topiary type of shape. Not growing any conifers in our yard, though, so I am not that familiar with them.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Parent has to be near enough for seed to have blown or been dropped there, unless it came off of a vehicle.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Do birds factor in with these kind of seeds? We have a lot of mockingbirds, crows, and scrub jays around.

The closest thing I saw was in another backyard about a block away, looked something like this -- I mean it didn't have the standard triangular form. Most of the cone evergreens I see around here are green, yellow green, or dark green.

If it IS like the ones I saw, then it would grow too huge for where I was thinking to plant. :-(

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 13:23

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Yeah, birds can spread juniper and other conifer seeds. It does look like a juniper to me. It could be from those in the picture, even if the foliage seems different, junipers have both juvenile and adult foliage. But it also could be from somewhere else.

I'd dig it up and pot it to grow a bit older, you or someone can identify it more accurately when it gets more adult foliage. Anyways, you don't want it getting bigger in the middle of your coleonema.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Has the pointed habit of a tree seedling, a conical tree of some size should be expected.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they definitely need to come out. Just thought the blue was such a pretty contrast.

My son has been asking if we could grow a redwood (noooo, no room for that either!). Maybe I'll give these to him and let him care for them in the pots.