Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sparaxis elegans...where/when to buy?

Posted by mia1974 9b/ss15 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 19:45

Does anyone have experience with this plant? Is it as drought tolerant as I am reading?

I just moved to California, so I am not sure where to locate this plant and when it could become available as it is a summer flowering bulb it seems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sparaxis elegans...where/when to buy?

I purchased them at armstrong's and plant depot. They seem to be hardy and they do multiply, but are apparently tasty to some animals. If you plant now they will sprout and bloom in spring. Good luck.

o

My sister has Sparaxis that blooms every year. She got some bulbs at the 99 cent store. If you think those might be a bit risky, most garden stores have them.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 14:36

They are very easy to grow in the garden, and will survive on rainfall alone if planted in the fall, but will also tolerate summer irrigation without rotting out the bulbs if the drainage is very good, like on a raised mound. Also good in containers. Bulb catalogs list these, but in nurseries they are generally only available retail in late summer/early fall, which is the time to buy most spring blooming bulbs in general. you might sometimes come across live plants in bloom at nurseries in the spring. If you have neighbors/friends with these in the garden, the flowering stems form little bulbils that can be harvested after the foliage dries off, and these will easily grow and bloom within two years, without having to disturb the existing bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here