Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nderevj

Help: Star Jasmine with Yellow / Faded Leaves

nderevj
10 years ago

I'm brand new to gardening and I'm trying to understand what is happening with my Star Jasmine. I've had it for about 10 months. Over the last 2-3 months it's leaves have started to turn yellow and fade. Is this normal?

What's odd is that I have 3 trellises side by side, the middle one seems to be the most healthy- dark green and full of leaves.

I appreciate any suggestions :)

- Nick

Comments (14)

• bahia
    10 years ago

Give it a good mulch with nice compost, or fertilize with a slow release balanced fertilizer. A foliar feeding might also green it up more quickly.

• nil13
    10 years ago

The pic is a little blurry and it's hard to see what's going on with the new growth. Does the new growth show the same yellowing of the leaf veins (veinal chlorosis). Is the plant at the base also showing veinal chlorosis?

• nil13
    10 years ago

when it first started, was the yellowing on new growth or old growth?

• nderevj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll post a few more photos (hopefully they help).

#2 is a closer view of the leaves in question.

• nderevj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#3 newer growth showing signs, just not as drastic.

• nderevj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#4 the middle trellis (the 3rd trellis is just to the right, cut off in the photo) seems to be doing better. Green leaves and more filled out. They were planted at the same time.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Could be lack of nitrogen or herbicide toxicity, is this possible? I would try added nitrogen to see the response. Al

• nil13
    10 years ago

that looks like herbicide toxicity to me. Nitrogen deficiency effects old growth first and the new growth will still look good. It also starts with interveinal chlorosis not veinal chlorosis.

This post was edited by nil13 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 11:08

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Well my experience with this plant is much different from other posters. Here, now is the time of year when established SJ's drop some old leaves and can look like your pictures. I often wonder if it is a reaction to a spell of Santa Ana winds, which we had a few weeks ago or the nights cooling off after being fairly warm all summer.

Check--is the soil really dry? A good soaking or two now with the hose would not hurt. Mine do this leaf drop thing every year if I forget to fertilize and skimp on the water. Next year, give them some slow release fertilizer right after bloom, (when they start pushing new growth) and they should not look so bad come this time next year. That is my experience with my multiple Star Jasmine plants of many years growth.

Others of course may know different.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Boy, I was going to say the exact same thing, hoovb. I'll snap a photo of my Star Jasmine tomorrow morning. Not quite as pronounced as nderevj's, but I have a few reddish leaves and some yellowing. This is typical for mine this time of year. I don't know what causes it, either, if maybe it is ever so slightly deciduous, or if it is due to colder nighttime temps and the drier air. But, this is how mine react at this time of year, too.

Patty S.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

This has been the driest year in history for us. Coupled with an unusual, unrelenting north wind, causing an almost consistent 20% humidity. Established trees having pulled all the moisture available from the soil, have gone into a premature dormancy. We all look forward to an early and wet winter, which has not started yet. Al

• nil13
    10 years ago

drought stress typically presents first as marginal necrosis or interveinal chlorosis. Do your plants that look like this present such strong veinal chlorosis, hoovb and Patty? We could have multiple problems here.

• nderevj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the tips and comments. I've tried watering more as the soil was a bit dry. I even added a some nitrogen. I'll keep an eye on it.

A couple of things I did notice (when compared to my healthy looking Star Jasmine):
    * The branches near the bottom (trunk?) seem very dry and brittle
    * The soil is much harder

If it is herbicide (there is landscaping on the other side of the fence that my HOA takes care of...) is there anything I can do?