Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

weather question....

cottagecindy
11 years ago

Hi All.

Nasty cold tonight. and after all this gorgeous warm weather. my roses, every plant, are still blooming.

Since this is my first house --with landscape (always in apartments or condos)

how do I get my plants, shrubs, lawn thru the winter? How often do I water the grass? I'm still mowing weekly.

I know this cold is a record and may be a short time period for "now" but eventually it will be cold for a good couple of months.

Tips anyone?

Comments (10)

• cottagecindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh and I live in south bay area (Mt. View)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Enjoy the rest. As the perennials die back and look ratty, cut them down to about four inches. This allows you to still know where they are until the new growth starts from the ground. Roses won't need to be pruned until about the end of January, but you can trim them to neaten them if needed. You should not have to water the lawn through the winter, which is our rainy season. Mow as needed, as it will continue to grow. Most shrubs, not all, are pruned back in the spring, consult a western reference such as Sunsets "Western Garden". Al

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

You don't have to prune your roses at all if you don't want to. I just pull off the leaves and trim out the dead stuff, especially on the floribundas.

For the lawn, it depends on whether it is a warm-season grass or a cool-season grass. I let my warm-season St. Augustine go dormant in years when I am too poor to pay to water it, and I keep it green all winter by watering twice a week if I can afford it. Cool-season grasses must be watered regularly throughout the year, at least in Southern California, since we do not have enough rain in most years.

As far as winter protection, if something gets frost bite in the winter just leave it be until spring, then trim back the dead stuff.

Congratulations on your first house and garden.
    Renee

• cottagecindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I am in a rental house(tiny 500sq') but the good thing is water is included. The grass did stay green all year (was here last winter but no landscaping except grass. Since landlord and myself redid the yard(cool guy) he put all on a new timer, and told me to adjust if necessary. (grass was always on a timer)
    That's where I'm dumb. (plus this unit is a bear, I'm having a really hard time figuring it out even with instructions)
    each water station can be altered, so hear's where your advice could really really come in handy.
    1) lawn -- I have it on to water M,W,F 10 min at 6am
    2)nandina shrub row along driveway - T,TH 10 min at 6am
    3)the curved shrub in front of house (pittosporum about 14 of them) AND all the garden half moon shaped area on each side of front of house like roses, daises,poppies,lilac hibiscus trees,geraniums,salvia, etc etc oh and the flowers in the 2 window boxes. Yep, ALL on the 3rd line --M->F 10min 6:30
    no room in water system for another (only 3 lines/valves) and it was already laid down in place and I did attach a drip thru the "garden area"
    So.. should I shorten any of the watering schedules?
    It is still warmish during the day, but at night, brrrrrrrrrr. Should I water later in the morning? leave it as is?
    Everything is growing beautifully as of yet. I "can and DO know how to turn the water system off if it starts a spell of rain. That is easy.

More tips? Thanks so much!

11 years ago

Much of California is zone 9, unless it has some elevation, but varies a lot in the amount of winter rain to be expected. Here in northern California we expect around 30 inches of rain, and for most plants we can simply turn off the water. It would help to know in what part of California do you garden? Al

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I'd leave it as is, unless it rains, then just hit the rain delay.
    Renee

• bahia
    11 years ago

Get yourself a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book, and it will have all the info you're looking for.

• cottagecindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Calistoga ---so sorry just now getting back to this-was out of town/work/crazy etc. I live in Mountain View -SF bay area on peninsula down towards the south end.

I think what I will do is leave it alone then turn it off when it rains.-thanks for the advice hosenemesis! (not quite yet into our rainy season huh? :/ 60's day/40's night. mother nature can't make up her mind.

11 years ago

Here in the north bay our weather prediction is for up to 12 inches in the next ten days. The only water I still have on is in the greenhouse which gets no rainfall(hopefully). Al

• cottagecindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. shows you where my head is lately. Was so sick -cold, ears, etc- I was out of it, couldn't work. and today late this evening I saw the weather forecast ...ug. well we need the rain I guess, but not so all at once!

I hope your greenhouse doesn't leak! I'll be bumping around at 37,000 ft above sea level tomorrow feeling it!! :(