Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Just not in the mood this year

hosenemesis
11 years ago

My garden will be on the San Fernando Valley Iris Society tour again this Spring, and I've lost my gardening mojo. I haven't even started weeding or planting annual seed for spring; I haven't trimmed anything back, I have let St. Augustine invade my beds. Ugh. Maybe it will rain every weekend until May.
Renee

Comments (10)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

Oh no, not you also. I haven't done much either until past weekend. I put in a crape myrtle and 84 dutch iris that were 50% off at Lowes.
    I've got weeds to pull also but was waiting for rain to loosen my hard as granite soil and getting rain tonight.
    College football keeps me busy enough...lol
    And I've got holiday baking to do also.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

It was this kind of feeling that made me switch to woody plants with an emphasis on foliage. Not for everyone, but the constant work of the perennials really wore me out.

A little winter rest is not a bad thing!

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

When I lived on the coast, my front lawn was shared with my neighbor. Her lawn was taken over with St. Augustine which I battled to keep out of my lawn. I finally had to pour a concrete curb down to 18 inches to separate the two lawns. My neighbor was not happy but the concrete was effective. Al

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I lost the mojo too but it turned out to be because it was so &$*&^$^#$! hot for so long. Now it's cooled off, inspiration has returned. Hope it comes back for you soon!

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Plant things that you love to eat and the joy of gardening will return.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mrclint, where do you buy chocolate cake trees? :D
    Renee

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    11 years ago

I think Little Debbie makes cakes in Christmas tree shapes ;)

• MrClint
    11 years ago

I'm still looking for a "ticket oak" like the one in the commercial:
    {{gwi:565620}}
    A cake tree would be even harder to find. I was thinking maybe you might want to try growing strawberries. :)

• socks
    11 years ago

Renee, how about getting a little help? Maybe a high schooler or other worker. It's sure nice just to have someone help clean up. I don't actually know that from experience, but I can just imagine what it would be like! LOL!

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

One time I just didn't want to weed my beds at all. A friend told me just to do 15 minutes worth and if I was sick of it, I could quit for the day. Most of the time I worked longer than 15 minutes. Are you just bored of your garden? That happens to me every few years. It looks the same and it's not like planning new areas and planting them. Maybe you can do something to make it look different or move things around.

Another thing that helps me is music with headphones on and some iced tea for energy. I get lost in the music and I get the boring chores done. My friend prefers a glass of wine and someone to talk to while she works.

If all you really need to get you out there is someone to pull the grass from the beds for you I would just hire someone to do it or else get a friend to help you so it goes faster.