Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge damage at the LA County Arboretum

Posted by onederw 10 SSZ21 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 0:11

The Arboretum is closed until further notice. At least half of its trees are damaged or uprooted from the windstorm. Cleanup could take months. Very, very sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboretum closed because of windstorm damage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge damage at the LA County Arboretum

Oh, what terrible news. Makes me even more aware how lucky we were here.

o

I have yet to hear anyone at either the city or county level declare an emergency that would make the region eligible for assistance, either in terms of manpower or finance. What's the hang-up?

o

Sad. Both Fairchild and Fruit and Spice were heavily damaged in the storms and freezes in earlier years but mostly recovered. Hopefully the Arboretum will too.

o

Strybing arboretum had a similar event about 30 years ago. Although a list of trees had been made up ahead of the storm predicting which trees would fall in such a case, the old weak trees stood, while younger healthy trees failed. No park has the budget or workforce to make removals and repairs in a timely fashion, and 10 years (atleast) was required, but the park was only closed long enough for dangers to be eliminated. It was interesting to tour the damage. Al

o

The windstorm was something else. My mom was without power for a full week. Just terrible

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 10:24

Oh how sad! Pasadena area seemed to get the brunt of the winds.

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 11:00

Unfortunately rare/unusual events cause the most damage. Most areas that are susceptible to Santa Ana winds experience a yearly weeding out of susceptible trees/limbs, but all bets are off when the strong winds come from an unexpected quarter. Trees that were resistant to strong winds from the northeast (or, more to the point are relatively sheltered from northeast wind events) were vulnerable to winds from due north or northwest. I live in an area that is normally very susceptible to strong Santa Ana winds and it was quite eerie hearing about the damage in Pasadena, Glendale and parts of the San Fernando Valley, while here on the Oxnard plain we were totally becalmed.

Ryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here